'I see you are most cheerful today," said a voice behind her. Eliza shuddered. Turning around, she saw the Prince laying on a divan with a book in his hand. Just as she has always imagined him. Eliza crumpled the piece of paper holding it behind her back and slid it up her sleeve.

'It is right so, Your Majesty. What reason could make me not be?'

'You are right, there is none. I take you enjoy your new home and no one caused you any annoyance. Because if there was anyone, I would have his head off.'

'Oh, no,' rushed Eliza to answer. 'Everyone has been very nice. I have nothing to complain about.'

 'Very well. But tell me, how is your voice?'

 'Unfortunately, not well,' said Eliza coughing. 'But I am sure that for the engagement I shall sing like never before.' 

'This comes only as good news,' said the Prince standing up. 'Tell me, Princess, what brings you to this place? Can I be of help?' 

Eliza looked at him with great interest. This time, they were much closer. And, to her surprise, his presence wasn't bothering her like the first they met. On the contrary, it was quite pleasant. 

'Well... I was bored, and I thought I might enjoy reading a book.'

 'Of course,' said the Prince. 'As you can see, there's plenty to choose from. I was careful to collect books from all corners of the earth. You see, you can find out so much about a country from the books written about it.' 

Eliza was looking for a ladder, and before she could realise, it was already next to her. The Prince pushed it with a swift move she did not see. And, while the Prince seemed to look for other books from his vast library, Eliza pulled out the book about twins and stuck the map inside. Unfortunately, she forgot the page she found it on but hoped no one would notice. Then, she also began to look for a book as if she had spent her whole life among them. Luckily, her father, the miller, had agreed to send her to school. It would have been a drag not to know how to read. 

From the corner of her eye, she was watching the Prince. And she had to admit she was impressed with his agile moves, his imposing stature, even the scar crossing his cheek. Picking a random book, Eliza sat on the divan looking as if she was reading. Instead, she was peaking over the pages of her book, observing the Prince.

 'Interesting book you have chosen,' said the Prince smiling. Eliza read the cover and went pale. The book was calledTactics of war. A book just suited for a princess. 

The girl smiled, flames coming to her cheeks, but the Prince left her no time for a reply. 'Speaking of, I want to inform you I shall leave for war. My princess deserves a wedding present, does she not? And what better present is there than a country of her own where she can rule?'

 Eliza couldn't believe her ears. 'I was thinking the one neighbouring the country you come from,' continued the Prince while the girl was becoming more restless. 'It's a small country of hardworking men, wheat growers, and animal farmers. And from what I've heard, you have a passion for baking. I have to admit you're good at it.'

 'Your Majesty, please,' interrupted the girl, trying to bottle up her tears. 'I don't need an engagement present. I need nothing; I have everything I could have ever wanted. Please, forget about this war!'

 The Prince stepped closer to her, so close she could see the flashes in his eyes. 'What say you? You dare refuse my gift?'

 'Oh no, Your Majesty. Only it is not the right gift for me. You can offer me anything else but this. I beg of you!' she said throwing herself at his feet.