6 - Dream

Once again I found myself in an awkward position when I woke up the next morning. Some time in the night both me and Newt had rolled over so we were facing each other and I had my hands on his chest with my head resting in the crook of his neck and Newt had an arm wrapped around my shoulders with our legs were intertwined together. I would be lying if I said I wasn't comfortable in this positon because Newt was surprisingly comfortable despite the hardness of his chest, but I had to move because I knew Newt wouldn't be able to look me in the eye if he knew this is how we had slept that night.

Luckily Minho didn't come into the room to wake us up that day so I didn't have to endure his teasing although he would have been a huge help while I was prying Newt's arms off of me. Eventually I was able to wiggle out of the bed and left Newt sleeping in the bed while I went down to the kitchen for breakfast.

Frypan told me that the runners had already gone to the maze so I knew I wouldn't be trying out for that job anytime that day so while I took my breakfast to an empty picnic I pondered about what job I could be trying out for. Apparently I was supposed to try out one job every day and spend the day doing that job but everyone had decided that I only needed a small taste of each job to know what I should do. I still had no say in the matter but I was okay with whatever job I got as long as it wasn't a slicer because that job didn't appeal to me at all and I was sure that I would throw up if I did have to do that job everyday.

Newt and Chuck joined me at breakfast while I was just finishing off what little food I had left on my plate and as more gladers started waking up I noticed a lot of them kept on staring at me and I became self conscious because of the bruises I had on my face and on my body even though most of them weren't visible.

My bottom lip had a cut on one side and was slightly swollen still but that didn't make a difference with my speech and only stung a little when I ran my tongue over it. A large percentage of my stomach was purple from bruises and I had a few on my arms and more on my legs. Luckily I had gotten off quite well in the fight because when I saw Gally walk in for breakfast I noticed a limp that he was obviously trying to hide and his face was bruised in some areas although I hadn't actually punched him or done any harm to his face.

Seeing Gally made me curious about how he had managed to seem more hurt than I did when he had literally gone full force with the punches and I had merely tripped him up a few times. I hadn't tried to cause him too much pain even though it was a fight because I had been conscious of the rules of the Glade when the fight had started but apparently they hadn't mattered to Gally at all when it came down to it.

"Alby had a talk with him after you went to bed last night. Wasn't happy the slint-head had agreed to have the fight with you and threw the first punch." Newt explained when he caught me staring at him

"But it was my fault! I said I would fight the strongest person here, Gally shouldn't be punished for something he wasn't responsible for." I said

"He played dirty and knew he shouldn't  have fought you, it was his own fault and he got what was coming to him. Alby would have done it to anyone that had accepted the fight, even if you did win." Newt explained

"Still, I feel bad." I said with a sigh

"Hey, the little shank is annoying as hell and deserved what Alby did to him." Newt said

I only nodded my head and finished my breakfast. While Newt explained the jobs I would be doing for the day. Apparently I was working with the Med-jacks and Gardeners for the day which meant I would see Newt for some part of the day since he helped in the gardens even though he didn't need to.

After I had finished my breakfast I went back up to the homestead to do something with my hair which was still in a braid from the previous day and gave Frypan my plate on the way out. Once I got to the room I shared with Newt I swiftly undid the braid and let my hair fall down my back while I grabbed the hair brush from the box which I had put under the bed. While I was sorting through all of the things in the box and grabbing hair bobbles and the brush, Newt had walked into the room and was leaning against the doorframe when I looked up.