Chapter 10 - Phone Call

Depuis le début

After ten or so minutes, everyone began to get into position for the Third Act.

There were a few people backstage controlling the set and about another ten on stage including Sidney who was playing Cassandra. The play was about the fall of Troy and how Cassandra had predicted its destruction.

"All, behold the dreaded fate of Troy that once stood proud and light upon the hills of Sparta! Now shrouded in the deathly smoke of ruin, her royal children pitched from her walls, her people driven through her ruins." To put it lightly it wasn't exactly a happy story. "And now alone in fate's cruel isolation stands Cassandra, her kingdom, family and friends driven to the wind."

Kali's phone began to ring and she desperately tried to find it, running away from the stage as a few of the backstage workers gave her glares.

"Damn it, Dewey." She muttered as she ran further back stage where her phone wouldn't be heard and there was no one around. "Dewey, now is not a good time, can I ring you back?" She finally answered, trying to speak over the loud music and microphones coming from the rehearsal.

"Hello, Kali." It was a voice that had never once been directed at her. She heard it in the snippets from the 'Stab' movie and Sidney had once described it, but Kali herself had never heard the voice of Ghostface directly. "Care for a game?" He asked.

Kali looked behind her, sensing that someone was watching, but there was no one there. She began to walk back the way she came, towards the music and where she knew she'd find people, but one of the stage walls that were used for set changes in the play was now blocking her way. It was on wheels and someone had pushed it in front of the doorway to stop her.

She tried to shove it out of the way, but there was something else behind it, keeping it in place.

"Fuck." She whispered angrily.

"Kali." She could hear Ghostface calling through the phone that she still held in her hand, but had dropped from her ear.

"What?" She demanded, trying not to panic. There were dozens of people on the other side of the cardboard wall, after a few corners, if only they would turn the music off and then maybe they would hear her scream if she tried.

She was in the changing room out the back, but it had no doors, the only way out was the way she had come.

"It's a simple game, Kal. I ask you a question and if you get it right, you live."

"No, no way. There are two answers, there're always two answers. If I say one you'll say the other." Despite hating it, she had read Gale's book.

"No tricks, just one little question with one answer. Here it is... which of your friends can't you trust?" He taunted.

"Fuck you." She spat back. The room was empty, it was just an open box that she was trapped in, no Ghostface, but she knew he was watching her.

"Randy? Hallie? Derek?"

"Shut up."

"... Mickey?"

"Shut up!" She yelled this time, the music still playing.

"I bet you think of Stu every time you're alone with him, huh, Kal. Questioning whether or not you can trust your boyfriend this time. You probably remember how it felt to have a knife cut through your flesh." The music stopped in the background.

"No actually, my memory's a little fuzzy, a had a concussion at the time, so why don't you get off your ass and see if you can help me remember." Kali spat back into the phone angrily, tired of playing guess who and being toyed with. She'd rather have him standing in front of her.

"Kal?" She heard Mickey's voice from the other side of the cardboard wall just as the killer hung up.

"Mickey?" She called back, both relieved, but confused.

Soon enough Mickey was pushing the wall away from the doorway and stepping into the room. "Hey, what the hell is going on, why..."

"What are you doing here, Mickey?" Kali cut him off, taking a step back as he started to make his way to her.

"What?" He asked confused.

"Hey, Mickey, I thought you had to edit." Derek asked as he and Sidney came into the room, Sidney still in costume probably wanting to get changed.

Kali looked to her boyfriend for an answer. "Yeah, we finished early. I figured you wouldn't be finished yet so I came here. What's going on? Kal?"

Kali shook her head lightly. "I have to go." She stated making a break for it as fast as she could.

"Kali!" She heard Sidney yell after, but she didn't stop.