9

Hailee's POV

"Hailee! Bruce! Dinner's ready!" my mom called from the dining room. "Coming!" my brother and I yelled perfectly in unison. We giggled and ran downstairs.

"Bruce, beanie off at the table." said my dad. He pulled it off of his head and threw it to the couch. He sighed and took his usual seat.

This...is my foster family. The most loving warm family you could think of. But I still can't feel that I belong here. I'd never seen my actual parents before. That's the only thing that's keeping me down.

Everyone dug into the pizza in the middle of the table. But...not me. I never usually had an appetite. I would always skip meals but otherwise, I would barely eat anything,

"Hailee, there's something wrong. I know it. This is pizza in front of you. You never lose your appetite to pizza." said my mom. "Actually mom, I lose my appetite to everything. I just force myself to eat just to make you guys happy." I replied.

"Aww, Hailee. We already feel so blest just having you. If you have any problems with this family, you can tell us anything." she said. "Yeah we've got your back no matter what." said Bruce. "I-I...just sometimes feel like...this isn't where I truly belong. This isn't my real family. I would just like to at least spend a second with either one of my parents. Can you tell me something about them?" I said.

They looked around, hesitating to respond. "Well...um...it's best not to tell you so much at such an early stage." said my mom. The other two boys remained silent, with the same, clueless expression on their faces.

"Pweaseee?" I begged, folding my hands to gather and pulling my sad puppy dog face. That face that no one could say no to.

"Okay, well. Your moms...they were-" I cut her off. "Wait, what do you mean by 'my moms'?" I asked. "It's not what it sounds like!" she said. "No, I'm not dumb. It's exactly what it sounds like! I was a mistake! This is why I've never felt that sense of belonging! I was never even meant to be on this world! They should've killed me in the first place!" I cried. "No, honey-" "Don't 'honey' me! I'm not even your daughter! I want my real parents!" I whined.

"Please don't take it that way, let me finish." I didn't though. I immediately stormed out of the table to my room.

I always thought my parents were just as loving as my foster parents. I always thought they loved me, but just couldn't afford to take care of me, that they just wanted me to have a better life. For thirteen years, all thirteen of those years, I've been believing in a lie.

"Hailee?" said a sweet, calm voice. "What do you want?" replied my angry cracking voice. "Please don't take what mom said in such a bad way." said Bruce. "Whatever. Get out." I replied.

"Hailee, trust me. I've met your parents. If you want the whole true story, please let me in." I could hear the worry in his voice. Which meant he actually did care. What I loved about my brother.

But I was still hesitant.

"I already know the true story. Whatever you're gonna tell me is a lie. I'm not stupid." I said. "Please, Hailee."

But I decided to gave him one last chance. "Fine." I said and opened the door with a sigh.

We both sat down on our shared bunk bed. "The truth is...wait, promise you won't cut me off." he said, sticking his pinky out. "Fine." I sloppily locked my pinky with his.

"Well...Aunt Naomi was very young when you were born. Around your age. Your other mom, Aunt Jon was almost as young, about 18." he said. "Aunt Naomi's parents were...well...homophobic. They didn't approve of their relationship, because they wanted the family to go on. They thought they wouldn't be able to reproduce since they were...gay. But there actually was a way. They really loved eachother and didn't want anything to bring then apart so thy did it immediately. But then something happened to Aunt Jon. She got shot in the head and lost her memory. She fell in love with someone else and she and Aunt Naomi separated. Then Aunt Naomi's parents died in a car crash and she was free to do whatever she wanted. She really couldn't afford to take care of a baby all by her self. So, she gave you up for adoption. But they really loved you. I know it." he said.

Tears continued to slide down my cheeks as the story finished. "Don't worry. I know how it feels. I've been there." he said. "What do you mean?" my expression calmed down but it then turned into a curious one.

"Yeah. I was adopted as well. I know what it's like not to feel that sense of belonging, especially when you've never properly met the people who were meant to be in your life. The ones who you were supposed to be the closest to." he said.

I was staring to feel loved again, his words and the feeling out into them just made me rethink about my behaviour towards my foster family.

"What were your parents like?" I asked. "Well...they were just as kind as yours. They were so loving, so caring. They would do anything to make me happy. Anything for my own good, except when...well...they kicked me out." he said.

"Why did they kick you out if they loved you so much?" I asked in confusion. "It's a complicated story." I could tell he was lying. "I like complicated stories. They're interesting." I said, trying to get the truth out, in a not-too-forceful manner. "It's no the best time to tell you. I'll tell you whe I'm ready." I knew he was hiding something, but I didn't force it out of him.

"I'm not doing this to make you tell me whatever you can't, but it's just something I really really want to do." I said, but hesitated again, wondering whether it was even a good idea to tell him. "Anything." he replied.

I took a deep breath and...

"I wanna run away."