Parrot. - Mine

My name is Parrot. I was the first penguin ever to travel to the Brazil in order to see the colourful birds whom I was named after: this is my story.

As a baby penguin I witnessed something magnificent. I was just waddling along the ice as per usual when suddenly, amongst the blue mass of glittering water, I saw a brilliant bright orange shape just below the surface. The shape was long and pointy at one end, traveling in a cone shape upwards.

It surfaced for a split second before the point rising above as the mysterious animal dived into the depths of the ocean. I slid on my belly over to the water's edge and stood up swiftly, staring downwards beneath me.

Not once did I see the creature for another good 2 years. Then, on the sunset of my 18th (penguin years only) birthday, I saw it again. This time, before it could sink below the surface, I called out to it.

"WAIT! Please don't go! Tell me your name!" I shouted towards the great big orange cone.

The orange cone looked around himself after making eye contact once, before unsurely asking, "Who? Me? My name is Carrot."

"Hi! I'm called Parrot! Nice to meet you!"

"Nice to meet you too young one. Where are your parents might I wonder? Not to matter. We'll be back in a jiffy anyways. Come along now, hop on my back and I can take you to a wonderful and magical place."

"Wait, how can I know for sure you won't kill me and eat me?"

"Well now, I just guess you will just have to trust me."

Taking the option to waste my short pathetic life as a pengiun, I jumped on his back without hesitation. A sudden flash of light was all it took to travel literally half way around the world to a place known as Brazil.

"Ah, here we are! Brazil! The birthplace of myself and a few other beings." Said Carrot.

"What are those?" I stated as I gaped in awe at the coloured birds above me. There was a group of birds who were coloured in beautiful ruby reds, emerald greens and daffodil yellow.

"Those, my dear Parrot, are the wonderful birds called parrots. Just like your name young one! I am afraid, although our time together has been fun, I must retreat to deeper, colder waters or my body will become moist and floppy." Carrot said, a twinge of sadness in his voice.

"Oh. That's okay Carrot. Will I be able to see you again?" I asked, anxiously awaiting his response.

He gave a jolly laugh before stating, "Of course my dear! Just call my name and I will come."

Another flash and we were back in the Atlantic. Safe and sound at home.

"Thank you Carrot. I loved Brazil so much! I hope to see you again soon!" I called politely to the submerging Carrot.

"As do I Parrot! It was my pleasure! Toodaloo!" And with that, Carrot once again disappeared into the deep, dark blue.