Chapter 4: Losing The War

Start from the beginning

"Am I also the one that rubbed it in his face that you potentially have an admirer, that you get gay vibes from?" 

I gruffly reply, "Well, if you didn't act like you know chemistry, I wouldn't be in this mess." 

"Maybe if you and that damn idiot accepted each other's feelings, you wouldn't be in that mess!" she explodes, "So, none of this is my fault at all!" 

I scratch the back of my head, feeling like a total jackass. "Luci, I'm sorry. You're right. This is my own fault." 

"Mhm." 

"I'm really sorry for being mean about it."

"You're cool, sweetie."

I warn, "Luci, don't you dare." 

She changes the subject. "I know that he likes you, Rico. I'm not losing hope for the both of you." 

I roll my eyes in irritation. "Sounds like someone I know."

"Who?"

"Ken Edder." 

She gasps, "Shut up." 

"I guess I'm not the only one sounding like the person I like." 

"Callate la boca!" she hollers. 

I laugh, "No, you shut up." 

"How do you know what that means?" 

"Did you forget that my family came from Chile? I speak Spanish fluently." 

"Why didn't you just take Spanish? It would've been so easy for you," she recalls, "But, you took for French instead." 

I remark, "French isn't that different from Spanish though. Besides, me encanta la clase de francés a lote."

"The only things I heard from that were clase and encanta." 

"I just said that I love French class a lot." 

She chuckles, "Your accent was great."

"Thanks," I retort, "I only took two years of it, since two years is all we need." 

"Why don't you ever speak Spanish?" 

"I only speak it when I'm with my grandparents, who know very little English." I intake a big breath, realizing what Luci has done. "You completely threw me off topic."

"Well, it worked." 

"So, about Ken... I see something between you two." 

"I'm Indian," she states, "He's Caucasian."

"So?"

"My family isn't open to interracial relationships," she confesses, "I've been meaning to tell you that before..."

"Your mom and dad?" 

She responds, "Yes."

"Then, who named you Luciana Gunberg?" 

"My grandfather did," she answers, "He named me after an American girl, that saved his life." 

"Oh." 

"Yeah," she sighs, "I really do like Ken, but I don't want to disappoint my family."

"Your family won't be disappointed."

"Yes they will. They are very clear on what kind of boy they want me to date." 

"Date whoever you want to date," I retort, "It's your life you're living. Not theirs." I start hearing that repetitive beeping sound from Luci's line. "Is your phone dying?"