𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢. POWER STRUGGLE

Start from the beginning

"Janelle, this is one of my colleagues, Dr. Brennan," Jo introduced me to the doctor. "He used to work alongside me at Whitmore. He'll be doing your examination today."

"It's nice to meet you." I shook his hand with a small smile.

"You as well," he smiled. "Now, I reviewed your charts from the tests we had you take earlier and it seems that your hormone levels are unusually high for a mother in her eighth week. Have you seen a doctor since you found out you were pregnant, Miss Salvatore?"

"No, I haven't," I shook my head. "I didn't think to book an appointment, until recently."

"Well, you really should've seen a doctor before today," he said setting down his clipboard.

I bit my lip, nervously, "Do you think that there could possibly be something wrong with my baby?"

"We'll just take a peek first. Why don't you lie back and I'm gonna do an ultrasound." He went to the back table a grabbed a small white bottle. "This gel is gonna be a little bit cold," he warned me before squirting some of the gel on my stomach as I laid down.

And just when I thought things were going to be just fine, my head felt as if it had caught on fire. Like I'm not even kidding. I gasped, making Jo and Dr. Brennan turn to me.

"What? What's wrong?" Jo questioned in concern.

"Hot flash. A very, very hot flash," I exclaimed.

"Not a good sign," Dr. Brennan whispered to Jo.

"She's been getting those a lot lately."

"No, not like this one," I disagreed. "I mean, it felt like my head was on fire for real," I emphasized giving Jo a look.

"Let's just have a look, then." He placed the transducer on my stomach and moved it around until there was a slight image up on the screen. "There's your little —"

Suddenly, Dr. Brennan got electrocuted through the probe he was holding and thrown against the wall. My eyes widened as Jo looked at me in a shock. I awkwardly scratched the side of my head as she helped him stand.

Dr. Brennan tried to steady himself up on his feet. "Wha— what happened?" he asked.

"That's a good question," Jo raised an eyebrow and I took that as a sign to freeze the room. "What happened?"

"Whew," I breathed out. "I thought you'd never ask. My head was on fire like a tiki torch a few seconds ago."

"Do not change the subject," she pointed a finger at my stomach. "Did your baby just electrocute the nice doctor man?"

I frowned, "Yeah. I think so. But she was just protecting herself, cause that gel was really cold."

"Protecting herself?" Jo repeated incredulously. "Unborn babies don't perform magic tricks in the first trimester, Janelle."

I grabbed Jo's arm, bringing her closer to me. "What is going on?"

"I don't know," she replied, "but don't panic, okay?" She pulled away from my tight grip. "We'll wrap up here, and we'll go home and panic."

Jo led me towards the bathroom and I quickly changed into my clothes after wiping off the residue from the leftover gel. Once I finished, we bolted out of that hospital before anyone could ask any questions.

Now I get why Cassandra wanted me to restrain from using magic. But none of that was me. It was all the baby. I didn't even get the chance to see it coming; it just did.

"You see, this is exactly why I asked you to look at the baby, so I wouldn't have to go through all this."

Jo glanced at me as she kept her eyes on the road. "There shouldn't have been anything to go through in the first place. That baby is —"