Chapter 9: Run

Katherine grabbed my hand and ran off with me right before the wolf shouted. "Get them! The High King is mine." As I looked back, the black wolf went for Conall, five of them went for Duncan, and, I guessed he would leave with the most wounds, eight of them went for Felix. He was doing a job at keeping them away, as was Duncan. Conall wasn't having much luck with his wolf, but he was still alive. Two were after me and Katherine, though the black wolf didn't want us.

 We couldn't run that fast, but we did scramble up a tree, literally. They snapped at our feet. Then Conall came bursting out of the underbrush. His arm was bleeding, and he had a limp to his walk, but that was it. Something he could have used earlier, he had a sword. One wolf kept on us, the other went for Conall. "Where's Tarunir?" The wolf growled. Conall kept the point of his sword at the wolf. "Your buddy back there? He's gone. He abandoned all of you. He's running back to his den with a limp."

The wolf snarled. "Put the toy down. I'll be the alpha when I'm finished with you. How very un-noble, a king, your name with be written through the history of Narnia, met death by a furry, flea-ridden, mutt!" He opened his jaws and leaped at him. The wolf got impaled through the heart as Conall ran him through. Once the other wolf saw the odds were against him, he ran with his tail between his legs.

 "Conall!" I said as I came down. "Where on Earth, or whatever planet this is, did you get a sword?" Katherine asked. Conall grinned. "I landed on it." He answered. "Someone with Jargardin must've dropped it when they marched through here. I found it when the Tarunir knocked me over. Felix came from the bushes, with a frightened look on his face. I didn't blame him, he had almost been killed, and fought savage wolves bent on killing them. But it wasn't that. One word said everything we needed to know. "Duncan." His eyes blazed. "He's disappeared."

"What do you mean he's disappeared? He's a boy in a forest in a tight jacket, with blonde hair, how do you lose a kid like that?"

"I... don't know."