5. Part of the Family

I climb into the right hand side of the back of the car, and clip on my seatbelt. I am in their car. I am in Dan and Phil's car. Phil hops in the passenger seat while Dan starts the engine. "Welcome to our trashy car." Dan mutters and rolls his eyes.
"Hey! I like this car!" Phil protests, and Dan laughs and gestures around.
(A/N: I know Phan don't have a car, I'm pretending okay!)

The car smells of take-aways, and has scuffed leather seats. "Yeah... We're not the tidiest people on the planet, me and Phil." Dan says, scratching his head. "Any ways, let's go!"
    Dan is actually a great driver. The car glides along the road, and I stare out the window, gazing at the scenery flashing by. "We'll be home in about ten minutes, okay Amy?" Phil says, and I nod at him.

   I still can't believe they chose me. Amy Evans, teased and made fun of, is now the daughter of Dan and Phil. Oh how Claire would turn green if she knew. If only I could tell them how grateful I am. This means the world to me. They're literally the only people on the planet I'm certain I love, even before they met me. My cheeks are wet, and I realise with a start that they're tears. I attempt to wipe them away, but it's too late.

   "Amy, are you- are you crying?" Dan realises, and quickly pulls the car into a nearby housing estate, and stops the car. He unclips his seatbelt and turns around, and him and Phil look at me, worry on their faces. My eyes dart back and forth, and I have a sudden idea: I slide my iPad out of my bag and begin to type on Notes:

"I'm fine I just am so overwhelmed right now. I would have died if you favourited my tweet or something so for me to be your daughter is a huge thing right now. I wish I could talk to you, but at the minute I can't. I don't know why. My doctor thinks I'll open up, and I really want to, like really. I'm sorry. I don't know why you chose me. I love you so much."

Passing the tablet over, I can see the expression on their faces change as they get further through the paragraph.
"Oh Amy," Phil says, "Do you want to know why we chose you?" He looks at Dan, who continues.
"I guess we chose you because we saw something in you that others didn't. They saw a silent, antisocial girl who has no friends. But Phil and I saw a beautiful teenage girl, one who has many friends, and by the way, going on the Internet and being antisocial is our jobs and we're doing mighty fine at the mo."

I am fully crying by now, and I leap forward and hug them both, taking them by surprise at first, then they wrap their arms around me in one, big embrace, and that's when I know I'm part of the family.