Chapter 3: New Face

Chapter 3

New Face

An hour later, when Maïra had cooled off and washed away her tears in the pool, she decided she had to check Aurora Skies out, she was gonna live here now, after all. She went into the house to get dressed properly and take her stuff. After a hot shower, she got ready to leave.

The weather was just so good that she decided to walk instead of drive and she had all day to do what she wanted, no obligatory things to do. Walking wasn't going to take that long. They only lived about a mile away from the centre of town. She didn't question the fact that walking would maybe not be a good decision.

A few minutes later, people were already starting to notice her. After walking about fifteen minutes, she could hear the familiar sounds of phone camera's clicking and people who were passing by suddenly stopped to stare at her. She had never felt this uncomfortable when she was getting all the attention.

Why did everyone know her? You would think they'd have forgotten about you after you hid in your house for ten months. Isn't there anyone who doesn't read fashion/gossip magazines? Or papers? Or watches television? Guess not.

Still, Maïra kept on walking. She knew that some people were taking pictures that would be all over the web tomorrow, but at least no one bothered her. No one came up to her and started screaming or asking all kinds of questions. They were whispering, yes, but they kept a safe distance.

When she arrived at the central park she decided to walk trough Bakery St. Because it was a small street and she hoped she could escape the whispering crowd there. The street was called that way because the first bakery of this town would have been there. Not that anyone believed that, they just couldn't come up with a better name. They didn't even bother to change the name over the years.

While she was walking through the street, a small building cought her eye. She recognized it. Her grandma used to take her here on lazy afternoons in summer. It is a small coffee shop where they sell delicious bakedgoods and hot beverages. It had always managed to cheer her up because of all it's light colours.

When she was little she used to call it 'The rainbow shop' because it's painted in every possible colour. Her grandma would laugh and say: 'That's right darling, the very first rainbow was made here, by small, colourful fairies.' Maïra, who adored her grandmother's stories, believed her. Growing up and realizing that fairies didn't exist ans that rainbows were just the colors of the light that come from the sun and appear in combination with rain, didn't take that magic away.

She decided to go in, it didn't look like there were a lot of people inside. The girl behind the bar seemed to recognize her but tried not to show it, what was very much appreciated by Maïra. She ordered a latté and a small box with six macarons. She put three of them in her purse. For Evanna. They both love macarons. Especially the ones her grandma baked, but she would never taste those again.

She looked for a small table in a corner and sat down. She guessed right, there were only four people inside, including the barista. Those other visitors were busy with their papers or their laptops and did not notice her. She also pulled out the magazines and the paper she bought on her way here. Maybe she could find an interesting job offer. You never know.

Maïra enjoyed her sweet macarons while reading the fashion articles in one of her favorite magazines: the 'Simsmopolitan', but she was so busy trying to avoid the gossip articles that she couldn't really focus.

She is also one of the persons that these kind of magazines write about. A year ago, it was about her looks and who she was spotted with. Now, it's about how her trauma changed her and how she lost everything. She sighs while she reads a small article about her sister recently moving to Aurora Skies because "It would be a better place for her traumatized, mentally ill, twinsister."

She puts the magazine away and takes the 'Aurora Skies Newsletter' Wich also is a very original name for a newspaper. People in Aurora Skies clearly don't have the fantasy her grandmother had.

She skips all the articles and goes immediately to the page with the job offers. Hoping to find a job you don't need a degree for, something she's capable of.

"Hey, do I know you?"

Maïra freezes and slowly looks up. "Who, me?"

He nods.

"I don't know.. I don't think so?" She responds.

The person who is talking to her is a young man, probably mid-twenties, and he doesn't look that bad. He frowns at her response and studies her face.

"Wow, I would swear that I've seen you before." He says.

She smiles a bit. "Really?" She meant to say it sarcastically but it kinda sounds like she's just annoyed.

He nods. "Yeah, I just can't remember where."

Maïra is kind of amused. "Weird."

Is this guy playing jokes with her?

He nods again. "Weird indeed." He looks thoughtful.

She can't help but smile a real smile now.

"Have you lived here long?" He asks curiously.

Maïra shakes her head. "Not exactly"

He sighs. "Very weird. Well, anyway, my name is Stan. Sorry if I came at you like a creep."

He reaches out for Maïra's hand.

She laughs "Maïra..."

She shakes his hand.

"Lavel, Maïra Lavel." It's said before she can help it. She doesn't really know why she's lying about her name, this guy genuinely doesn't seem to know her.

He smiles. "Maïra huh?"

Maïra smiles back at him. "Yep, that's my name, my very real name."

She says, trying to sound casual.

"Okay" he laughs "Weird, even your first name sounds familiar, sure we haven't met before?" He still looks confused.

"No... No, I don't think so." She answers.

"Nevermind, it's nice to see a new face here. Is this seat taken?" He points at the other chair.

Maïra hesitates

'Absolutely not'