-3- (Edit)

3

-

Zhao Jiayi

-

They had come so soon, catching us all of guard and giving each of us so little time to prepare.

Not even so much a note, a letter, a messenger to get ahead of them....

Nothing!

Luckily Zhen-Ting and I had already spoken to each other about how we were going to be dressed, but it surprised me when Ai-Li showed up not long after us.

I would've thought that she would have taken longer to prepare and present herself. Eh, no matter, she looked beautiful anyways.

"He said to wait outside until the others have arrived. I'm assuming he'll have you lined up by age order...Ah-Zhen, stand on the side; you're not part of this."

Zhen-Ting nodded and sat down at the table bench, I did the same with a sigh, glancing up hopefully at my eldest sister.

"Jie-jie...are you ready? This could finally be it!" Sister Ai-Li twisted a strand of loose hair absent-mindedly. "Or this could not be...I'm twenty-one Ah-Yi, I might as well join a monastery and live a life of solitude, what's the point if this doesn't work?" I rose form my seat and grasped her shoulders comfortingly. "Don't speak like that. The only reason that Father would accept something like this was for you...he finally realized that he can't keep you locked in Qi Zhao Manor forever. You'll get married; don't doubt it." Sister Ai-li only smiled her thanks before sitting beside us.

The next two to arrive were the twins, the youngest of us seven. Shenzhen ran up the stairs and leapt at us with a laugh, only Ai-li had jumped slightly. "Are they finally here?" Ai-Li nodded, realization finally coming over her as she turned to face both I and Zhen-Ting. "Jiayi...Zhen-Ting, don't tell me you'll be going in there to greet the guests like this?" I glanced down at my clothing. The midnight blue dress I had decided to wear was nothing close the ones the others were wearing, it was rather plain but also my favorite to wear when practicing with Zhen-Ting, who happened to be all in black as she more often than not was.

I smiled and nodded, Cousin Zhen-Ting only smirked.

"It's all part of the plan Ai-Li...all eyes must be on you. This Li Xiao person needs to see the woman who matters most when we all go in there." Little Wen-Ling voiced her agreement as she finally joined us.

"The others will be here in a moment...then we could all go in." Shenzhen grinned. "Then you could be at the end of the line!" Her twin sister frowned. "Stop boasting at the fact that you were born minutes before me...they mean nothing, it wasn't even a different hour!" I could only shake my head in amusement at their dispute. "You two are making more of a fuss than usual...you are not even of age as of yet so there's no need for any of it! Just don't embarrass the rest of us once we all go in there."

"Who would embarrass the family?" Every head turned as the second eldest of us came with the fifth. I tensed, a frown marring my calm demeanor as they joined the crowd. Shenzhen sat down. "No one...where is Lili?" One by one the girls shrugged, I did the same and second sister Roaxi only sighed. "She'll be late, we might as well go in." Ai-li shook her head. "No, we all have to go in together...she'll be here, don't forget she just recovered from the injury." Roaxi walked towards the stairs. "Then we'll never go in."

I exhaled slowly with futile attempts. "Why must you be so impatient...if you wanted her to be here so quickly why didn't you go back and help her walk here...she could barely stand yesterday." Second Sister Roaxi huffed.