Chapter 30.

"You signed a contract."

It's those four words that let Louis know that nothing about this is going to be easy. Just those four words are all it takes for Louis' brain to scream at him to run for the door and never look back. The thing is, a few months ago he probably would have done. A few months ago, if someone had given him a slap on the wrist for standing too close to Harry on stage he would have licked his wound before apologising and promising not to do it again.

But this isn't a few months ago, this is now. And what Louis does now is what's important, not what he would have done or used to do. That's something he's beginning to realise. What Louis does instead is look the label exec right in the eyes and clear his throat. "And that contract ends in March."

It's like Louis can feel the atmosphere shift around him. It's like he can feel everybody in the room getting out their imaginary armour, like they're just waiting for the battle to begin. "You do realise you're making an incredibly rash and unprofessional proposition, Mr. Tomlinson?"

He hears Niall scoff next to him and he's thankful for that, for someone there to scoff at the embarrassing tone of voice, irritatingly authoritarian and completely condescending. Louis blinks back at the room of professionals in suits, he's met by what feels like a million pairs of eyes and even more glowing apples from the back of laptop screens. He can hear the sound of someone typing up every word that gets said and it throws him off a little, the thought of every last word being documented.

"It's just a proposition at the moment." Harry begins, his voice like a flotation device in a stormy sea, something safe for Louis to latch onto. "We might be willing to negotiate."

"Negotiate?" An older man Louis doesn't even recognise asks, "Negotiate what exactly?"

"You need us." Louis interjects because he's feeling brave and it might slip away from him if he doesn't put it on the table. "We're your biggest selling artists."

Louis hears someone swallow and another clear their throat a little awkwardly. This is the moment, Louis thinks, this is the moment where shit hits the fan.

"Would I be correct in assuming that your proposition is either improved working conditions or a refusal to resign?" The same old man asks.

Niall lets out a sarcastic laugh and Louis' eyes shoot to him. "Improved working conditions?" He mocks, "Are you having a laugh? Improved working conditions is upgrading the coffee machine or getting new desk chairs. We're talking about not having tolie about who you are. About Harry and Louis being able to fuckin' look at each other without it being the end of the world."

Louis loves Niall, like, he really does love Niall. Niall is great.

Harry breathes out a shaky breath, his foot nudging Louis' under the table. "We won't be resigning." He folds his arms over his chest. "That's our proposition. I've decided."

Holy shit, does Louis want to fling himself into Harry's lap and kiss the life out of him. He's so fucking brilliant. He's fucking amazing and Louis is so fucking in love with him.

A woman speaks up now, maybe her name is Kathy, or Katy. Louis doesn't really give a fuck. "And the rest of your band, Mr. Styles. You're a four piece are you not?"

Louis can't keep his mouth shut any longer. "We've come to a mutual decision. It's mutual. We're not resigning."

Niall nods next to him. "It's decided."

The woman speaks again. "You must realise this is a lengthy process? It's not just something to be decided on a whim. Payne isn't even present so nothing can be formally decided upon as it is."