Chapter 5.

"I miss you too, Haz." He finally gets out, clearing his throat when his voice sounds choked. "Like, a ridiculous amount. And I'm really fucking sorry it took a drunken phone call to get us here."

Before either of them can say anything else, the waiter is at their table. "Can I take these for you?" He asks, gesturing to the plates. Louis lets out an exasperated sigh, nodding. "And will you be wanting the cheque?"

"Yes, please." Harry responds, handing the waiter his plate.

"It'll be right with you, sirs." The waiter says, carrying their empty plates away.

There's a heavy cloud of silence that descends upon on them as the waiter leaves, Louis fiddling with the frayed edge of the table cloth and Harry playing with his rings. It doesn't seem like a lot, but this is the first time either of them has addressed the glaringly obvious distance between them. Both of them blindingly aware, neither wanting to bring attention to it. Louis feels all but exhausted, like he's just run a marathon. His heart is pounding in his chest, replaying the "I miss you a lot, you know." falling from Harry's lips. His muscles are practically twitching with the urge to fling himself over to Harry, wrap him in a hug and bury his nose into his hair, soft and warm.

He glances at Harry, he's got his bottom lip pulled in between his teeth, eyes focused on his long fingers. "I'm writing with Jamie and Julian tomorrow," Louis says, shattering the silence. Harry looks up at him, eyes wide. "I've got nothing on the day after though, you can come over to mine if you want. We can like, cook or something. Like old times. I mean, only if you're not busy, obviously." Louis rambles, wanting to get it all out in one before he loses momentum.

Harry blinks back at him, tucking his hair behind his ear. "I'd like that."

"Sorted, then." Louis smiles wide, nodding his head and laughing softly, almost in disbelief. "Bring your own ingredients though, I'm lacking in the fresh produce department."

Harry's grinning back at him, looking up from under his eyelashes. "Will do."

*

They split the bill, leaving a more than generous tip for the waiter. Harry scribbles 'thank you for the great service' on a napkin with a biro he found in his pocket and leaves it on the table. They walk out of the restaurant, into the car park together. Their cars are the only two there, at opposite ends of car park. As they approach Louis', he notices Harry slowing his pace.

"Um," Harry starts, "Should I text you, about Friday? I don't have your LA address."

"Yeah, of course. I'll text it to you, we'll decide on a time as well yeah?" Louis says, feeling for his keys in his pocket.

"Yeah, great." Harry smiles, mimicking Louis' actions and taking out his own keys.

Their pace is almost standstill by the time they reach Louis' car, nothing really left to do but say goodbye. "Uh, I'll see you Friday then I guess?" Louis offers, the two of them stood awkwardly in front of Louis' Range Rover, arms swinging at their sides.

"Yup." Harry nods, "Friday."

Louis swipes through his fringe with his fingers. "Erm, I had a good time today. Great choice on the venue. Fantastic pizza. Thanks."

Harry grins, dimples appearing in his cheeks. He looks down to meet Louis' eye. "My pleasure. Thank you for calling me drunk." He's about to turn on his heel when he looks back at Louis. "If it's any consolation, I'm flattered that I was occupying your mind enough to have you drunk call in the first place."

Louis feels himself blush, looking at the ground and trying to wipe the face splitting smirk off his face. "Yeah, well." Is all he manages.

"I'll see you Friday, Lou." Harry grins back at him, waving over his shoulder and he makes his way over to his Audi.