Did Catherine dare to believe that Professor Lawes might love her back? Attraction was one thing, but it was a long way off love, and she needed to know whether it was love he felt too.

A shiver of anticipation ran through Catherine's veins as she realised that so much depended upon her next meeting with Professor Lawes. If ever the professor was going to attempt to begin a courtship, it would have to be the very next time they met – for in a few days Catherine would be returning to Warwick, and then who knew when their paths might cross again? The thought of leaving Barnbury without knowing the professor's true feelings was simply unbearable, so she cast it aside for now. It would not do to dwell too much – there was nothing to be done but to wait, and to hope. And she would hope with every fibre of her being.

Catherine was so absorbed in her romantic fantasies that she felt almost indignant at being pulled out of them prematurely by a commotion across the room. It seemed Julia's attempts at distracting Miss Russell had not been very successful, for the young lady was now busy dotting her handkerchief with irritatingly delicate tears. Catherine allowed herself a brief moment to wonder at how Miss Russell could still manage to remain attractive whilst sobbing, before panic set in as she realised she would now be called upon to offer consolation without having paid attention to the cause of Miss Russell's upset.

Thankfully, though, Miss Russell's great love of talking about herself came to Catherine's aid at this moment. Between sobs, she promptly launched into a wailing list of all her woes, ensuring both ladies present knew exactly why she was a creature to be pitied.

"I hope Stephen is pleased with himself; he has ruined my entire life!" she cried dramatically. Julia made gentle soothing noises, clucking like a mother hen, while Catherine arranged her face into what she hoped was a sympathetic expression.

"I shall never find a husband now!" continued Miss Russell, the tears coming faster as she worked herself into a state. "Even if someone should wish to wed the disgraced sister of a viscount, there is no longer a dowry to offer! Mama and I shall perish alone, and in poverty, all before I had the chance to experience a single season! Oh! I cannot bear that life should be so cruel!"

Catherine's lips twitched at Miss Russell's skewed perspective on life, but she managed to remain impassive - it would not do to appear as if she were mocking Miss Russell. Despite Catherine's misgivings about the young woman, clearly experiencing a season and securing a husband were matters of the utmost importance to her – matters Catherine herself might have done well to devote more time to – and so Catherine could understand Miss Russell's utter devastation of having this long-awaited dream snatched away.

"I cannot bear to think of what is to become of Mama and me," wailed Miss Russell hopelessly. "I expect we shall soon be forced out of our home – our very own Wyndham Hall, which has been in my late father's family for generations – and then we shall be cast onto the streets to live as commoners!"

Catherine felt a thrill of terror wash over her; she had not considered that. If indeed Lord Russell had gambled away the majority of the family fortune, it seemed very likely Lady Russell would have to sell Wyndham Hall and purchase a significantly more humble abode. Try as she might, Catherine simply could not imagine being torn from Donbroke, the house she had scarcely left her entire childhood. To her horror, she found tears welling up in her own eyes at the thought – and suddenly, she found herself feeling desperately sorry for Miss Russell.

Julia appeared to be thinking the same thing; as Miss Russell's sobs became so violent she could no longer speak, Catherine and her cousin exchanged a look of horror over the grief-stricken young girl's bowed head. The situation was dire indeed, and Catherine felt unable to say anything which could in any way lessen Miss Russell's sorrow, for it was very likely that she and Lady Russell would lose their home. What could one say in such a situation? Catherine looked to Julia again for inspiration.