Chapter 16: Infinite Love

Chapter 16:

Cole's father rushed to the door as Cole arrived, worry etched on his face. "Son, are you alright?"

Cole let out a breath, his head throbbing. He clutched it begrudgingly, wishing the hurt would subside. "I'll live, Pa."

Despite the facade Cole had put on for Savannah, his head hurt like a hornet sting. He just hadn't wanted Savannah to worry. Now, he couldn't help but hold his head in pain.

"The Tyders," his pa growled.

Cole closed his eyes a minute, resting his weight on the desk. "Pa, listen to me a minute."

The anger in his father's eyes dimmed a moment and he nodded. "Alright. But you can't expect me to hold back any longer on them, son. Now let's have it."

Cole let out a breath and stood up straight, ignoring the pulsing pain. "I'm in love with Savannah Tyder, Pa. I want to marry her." Cole watched his father's eyes cloud over. Cole took his hat off and ran a hand through his hair, turning his gaze back on his father. "It's funny, you know? All this time, she's been right there, living right next to me, and I never knew she existed. My love, my wife-to-be, was right beside me this whole time." He stopped and sucked in a breath. "All she ever could be was a name belonging to a forbidden family." He paused and gave a hard look to his father. "But she's no longer just a name, Pa. I love her. She's changed everything."

His father only stared at him with a stern, cold look on his face. Cole swallowed and walked a few paces away, his heart beating in anger and fear. All he needed was understanding. Above the hate, he needed there to be understanding. Sending up a silent prayer, he asked for understanding and love to prevail. After all, love overpowers. Love conquers.

He only desperately hoped love would prevail in this instance. It had to.

After many seconds of silence, Cole turned back to his father. "You know, I knew you wouldn't approve. Despite the love you proclaimed during prayer, you still hold that bit of hate inside you and you continue to let it grow. I say, out with it! Revenge gets you nowhere, but love gets you anywhere. I see that clearly now, Pa. I was blinded by the same hate, but now I can see because of love. My love for her. And you can't take that away. I'm marrying her, Pa."

As Cole finally focused back on his father, he realized he was smiling. He looked at him oddly.

"Is there that much distance between us, Son?"

Cole swallowed, not following. His heart beat in fear. Why was his father smiling? What was he saying?

"I've never put my land above my sons," his father went on. "I never will." His father paused, nodding his head. "You're right, also. I've still fueled this feud. Well, no more. I starting to "see," alright? I'm starting to realize how much of a waste it's all been because of your love for that girl, and my love for you."

Cole's heart soared. "What are you saying, Pa? Are you saying the feud is over? Are you saying I can marry Savannah?"

"I'm saying that we simply have a lot to talk about with ol' Orville Tyder."

Cole smiled despite his throbbing head, and embraced his father in a strong hug.

"Let's go see Orville, then," Cole answered.

His father smiled, and they headed to the barn to saddle their horses.

{-}

Along the trail, his father halted his horse. Cole pulled on his reins to halt too, seeing the oncoming rider.