Chapter 11: Forbidden

Chapter 11:

Savannah awoke the next morning with a heavy heart. She didn't know what she could further do. Reasoning with her family had failed, and she knew the truth: even if Cole's father decided to ignore the missing horse, her pa wouldn't relent.

Her pa would force the Hudson's to fight.

Savannah picked up Romeo and Juliet and pressed it to her chest. It was the only comfort she had aside from The Strip.

Savannah slowly got up to get ready to head out as she thought of her place. For a second, she smiled, knowing Cole would be waiting for her.

She quickly dressed and quietly opened her door. Instead of finding the room empty, Jesse and Orville were up and waiting for her.

She gasped and stopped in her tracks, just staring at them.

"What're you doing up so early, Savannah?" her pa asked.

"I-I'm heading to The Strip."

"No, you're not."

Savannah felt her throat tighten. They had been waiting for her, and her punishment for going against them must not be over.

"What do you mean I'm not?" she croaked.

"I mean you aren't going to The Strip today."

"But...why?"

Savannah knew the answer to her own question, but she was still too shocked and disappointed to fully comprehend what he was saying.

"What do you mean why?" Jesse piped in. "You raised your voice to Pa and went against us. You need to learn better than that."

Savannah shook her head, thinking of Cole. What would he think if she didn't show up? "Please, Pa," she pleaded. "I have to go."

"I said you're not, and that's final," he ordered.

"Pa, you don't understand! I must go!"

"Why?" Jesse yelled. "Why can't you stay away from that place for one day?"

"Because it's my escape! It's my only way of avoiding the fighting and the hate and the loss. Can't you understand that?"

"Savannah," Orville warned. "Listen to me. You are not allowed to go to The Strip today, and there is to be no arguing."

Savannah felt her body trembling. "Pa, please. I need to go."

"I said no! Stay and clean the house for once. It needs a good cleanin', alright?"

Savannah felt sick inside and hurt, but there was nothing she could do. "Y-yes, Pa," she finally answered.

Jesse and Orville finished up their breakfast and headed out to tend to the crops, leaving Savannah alone. She felt horrible for what she'd done, and for not being able to reach Cole.

But, Savannah did as she was told. She began to clean the house from top to bottom, leaving not a speck of dust behind. She wasn't going to give her family an excuse to keep her from The Strip tomorrow.

Tomorrow, she was going to see Cole.