Chapter 2: The Hudsons

Chapter 2:

The Hudson family gathered around the supper table. Each one took a seat while Mrs. Hudson placed the platter of beef in the center of the table.

"This looks wonderful, Grace," Mr. Hudson praised.

"It sure does, Ma," Elijah chimed in. His hand reached for the beef, but was promptly swatted away.

"Lije, don't reach!" she snapped. "We have to give thanks first."

Elijah rubbed his hand defeatedly. "Right. Prayer," he muttered. "I forgot."

Cole grinned at his younger brother. "You always do."

Elijah only glared at him.

"Paul?" Grace asked. "You start."

Mr. Hudson eyed his two boys before starting. Then, he folded his hands and everyone followed. They all began the prayer in unison.

"Come, Lord Jesus, be our guest, and let thy gifts to us be blessed. Amen."

They all unfolded their hands. Elijah almost immediately grabbed the fork and reached into the beef. Mrs. Hudson just shook her head.

Cole smiled. "He's a growing boy, like you always say."

She sighed. "Yes, yes, he is."

After grinning Elijah had made a mountain of meat on his plate, the family passed the plate around and placed a much smaller morsel on their plates.

"Before we eat," Grace started, eyeing Elijah who already was chewing on a mouthful, "we should pray for the Tyders."

A fork clanked on the plate. They all looked over at Mr. Hudson, whose hands were clenched together. "Orville Tyder doesn't deserve-"

"Paul!" She cut off. "Don't say something like that. They need guidance from God. Everyone deserves that."

Mr. Hudson swallowed. "You're right. I don't want any more fighting. We should also pray for peace."

Grace smiled at that. "We will."

She looked at Elijah, who swallowed his mouthful, then started.

"Dear Lord, please be with the Tyder family," she prayed. "They need your guidance to get past this feud and to end the fighting over the land. Please keep each of them safe and content with all they have. Let them be blessed with all your love, and let them realize the plan you have for them. Let them get past their misfortune they have had, and let us hopefully become friends. We want to be there for them, Lord. Please let them know that. Let us keep the peace and end this needless fighting. Thank you for all you have blessed us with. Amen."

A chorus of 'Amen's' followed.

Mrs. Hudson gave a small smile, looking at her husband. Mr. Hudson even smiled a little bit.

"That was gracious," he said. "I'm sorry for being so vengeful. They need God as everyone does."

Mrs. Hudson's smile widened.

Cole sighed. "Pa, do you think the feud is over? I'm not so sure the Tyders will settle with us winning the land."

Mr. Hudson looked at him solemnly. "I hope it's over. I very much hope so."

They all began to eat, except for Cole, who only stared at his plate, thinking of the Tyders. He knew the fighting wouldn't end so easily.

The feud wasn't over.