What the Future Holds

Start from the beginning

"Newest iPhone?" I asked jokingly. Tony snorted.

"Please, this is a million times better than anything Jobs could've made in his lifetime," the billionaire retorted as he scanned the anklet with his non-Apple phone, and started trying to hack into its system.

I looked over to Bruce and Steve, who had started talking quietly when Tony had been speaking to me. Steve was doing most of the talking, while Bruce listened with a somewhat dumbfounded expression on his face. Steve must be explaining my, um, special talent. I was nervous to how Bruce would react. Would he be accepting, or would he look at me with disgust and horror like so many before him?

Like he was reading my mind, Bruce looked over to me. He gave me a small smile, but his eyes showed that his brain was racing a mile a minute. He looked as if he had a thousand questions to ask. He couldn't have looked more like a scientist than in that moment.

Tony's phone let out a shrill beep, and my anklet fell on the floor into two separate pieces. I rubbed my ankle, grateful for the horrible needles no longer pressing against my skin.

"Thank you. I appreciate this a lot, but I don't want to cause any problems with you and Fury. I'm better now, I really should just go back," I stated. I really didn't want to make these people have a harder time with Fury then they already did.

"Are you serious?!" You want to go back to the guy who shot 50,000 volts of electricity through you?!" Tony exclaimed.

"I'll be fine. I've survived on my own since I was seven, I think I can handle the Director," I said with a brave smile on my face. The room suddenly became very quiet.

"How old are you Lila?" Clint asked from his corner.

"I'll be fifteen in two months."

I forgot how close my birthday was. Then again, after age four, birthdays weren't that big of a deal at my house. And by that, I mean that no one acknowledged me becoming older at all.

"That's 7 years on your own," Steve whispered quietly.

I shrugged. I usually take life one day at a time, because I usually didn't know if I would live to see tomorrow. I was suddenly very sad. I wish I was like other girls my age, I really do. I could go shopping, have friends, have a family. I fought back tears. Even if these people have been relatively nice to me, it was instinct not to let people see me at my weakest moments.

I slid myself off the stool, heading towards the door. Bruce opened his mouth to say something, but Steve quickly shook his head. Let her go, he seemed to be saying. She needs a little time.

The glass doors parted for me to take my leave, and I quietly padded out of the lab on bare feet. I could hear muffled sound coming from the lab, probably the Avengers talking about what to do with me. I only walked two steps before a S.H.I.E.L.D agent was briskly walking towards me. She held an air of command, much like Fury.

" I need you to come with me," she said briskly. I nodded silently, my eyes trained on my feet. This time, I had no fight left in me. She studied me for a second, before walking down the hallway, with me trailing behind her. We finally came to our destination, a small gray room with padded floors and concrete walls.

"Our training room," the woman said. Ahead of us was Fury, sitting unmoving in a metal folding chair.

"Thank you Agent Hill, you may go now," Fury dismissed her. She gave a small salute, then exited through the same door that we had came through. I shifted my weight from foot to foot, my guard never dropping.

"You've stirred up quite the problems Ms.Sutton," Fury stated with a calm demeanor. I didn't give a reply.

"You have caused some minor complications. I planned on having you moved to D.C. quietly, but I suppose now that Stark and the others know about you, that plan's down the toilet."

He looked up at me, his one eye trained on me with a intense gaze. "They were very quick to defend you."

"I know," was all I said in reply. Where was this going?

"If I tried to take you anywhere, the Avengers would be on my case in a minute. I bet you Stark is trying to worm into S.H.I.E.L.D's security cameras right now to find you," Fury said with a chuckle, before quickly becoming serious again.

"Which is why I need to know this: can I trust you?" he asked. "I know Stark took off the anklet, yet you haven't made any attempts to escape. Why?"

I took in a deep breath. However I chose to answer this question could very well decide my fate. "I knew that you would've caught me the second I started to run. It would be pointless.And-" I whispered, "I don't want to hurt anybody."

I promised myself a long time ago that I would never rely on my powers for anything. They were just to unpredictable. Last night was the first time in a long time that my flame had gotten out of control. Fury studied me, trying to see if I was being truthful. He stood up, and I fought every nerve in my body telling me to run out of the training room.

He stopped right in front of me, gazing down on me. He was nowhere near as tall as someone like Thor, but being 5'3", it was easy for him to look over my head. He pressed a finger to his ear and ordered, "Agent Hill, get me Stark, Roger, and Dr.Banner." His eyes never left mine. After a minute, Tony, Steve and Bruce walked through the door, all seeming very high strung.

"What do you need us for sir?" Steve asked while he cautiously glanced over to me. I mouthed "I'm fine", trying to reassured him. His shoulders relaxed a little, but not a lot.

"Gentleman, something tells me that if I tried to leave with Ms.Sutton, you would do everything and anything to stop me, yes?" Fury asked.

"Damn right we would," Tony muttered under his breath.

"Which is why Stark, I have an offer for you. I will let Ms.Sutton come live with you and the rest of the Avengers in Stark Tower, if you swear that you will try to train her how to control her power. As you, Dr.Banner, and Captain Rogers are the only Avengers who live in Stark Tower full time, the decision is up to you," Fury said as if was talking about the weather. My mouth dropped open, as did the guys. Me, live with the Avengers?

"Are you serious Director Fury? I mean, that is a lot of responsibility," Steve stuttered. Fury turned towards him with a level gaze.

"Are you suggesting that you three, three of the Earth's mightiest heroes, cannot handle a fourteen year old girl?" Fury asked. Steve seemed taken somewhat aback.

Bruce quickly came to Steve's rescue. "That's not what he meant Nick. None of us have ever had to take care of a kid, that's all," he assured.

"Well, as it is Stark's building, I'll leave it up to him," Fury replied, turning his back to leave.

"Wait, Lila, do you even want to do this?" Bruce asked me suddenly.

Fury stopped, but didn't turn around to face me. The others were staring at me with curious looks on their faces. Could I do it? Trust these people enough to put my life in their hands? I haven't had a permanent place of residence since Riverton. I looked at all of the men in front of me one at a time. Tony, who had made me feel comfortable with his sarcastic remarks. Steve, who had held my foot gently and promised to keep me safe. And Bruce, who had treated me even when he had no idea who I was, and was the first to stand up for me. If I wanted my future to be in anyone's hands, it was the three men in front of me.

"I would love it," I sighed.

Fury's stiff posture relaxed as he quietly slipped out of the room, unknown to everyone but me. I looked up at Tony, the one holding all the cards in this situation. Would he say no? After a minute, he suddenly smiled recklessly.

"This is going to be great."

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

I hope you like the chapter! I feel a little iffy on it, but I still really love it. I'm out of school now, and my exams went great, so now I have the entire summer to work on Little Sister. Yay! Thank you guys for being so supportive. You have no idea how much it means to me! Comment, vote, and follow! - Your caffeinated Author