I turned away, and drank more of my daiquiri nervously. What the hell was he doing?

He sighed, probably thinking that I was a lost cause. I felt myself internally sigh as well- I obviously was a lost cause. A dark skinned woman with a red dress walked up to the bar and took a seat. She quickly skimmed the menu and listed several drinks. A lot for just one person. Jim noticed it as well, and he commented on it.

“That’s a whole lot of drinks for one woman.”

The dark skinned woman eyed him and added, “And one shot of jack, straight up.”

“Make that two. Shots on me,” Jim told the bartender.

“Her shot’s on her,” she countered, “Thanks, but no thanks.” She smiled at Jim.

“At least you want to know my name before you completely reject me?” Jim asked.

“I’m fine without it,” she teased.

“You are fine, you know.” I felt like puking. “It’s Jim, Jim Kirk.”

She was still silent.

“If you don’t tell me your name, I’m gonna have to make one up,” he said.

She finally gave in. “It’s Uhura.”

“Uhura? No way! That’s the name I was gonna make up for ya!” I mentally face palmed. “Uhura what?”

“Just Uhura,” she smiled to herself.

“You don’t have last names on your world?”

“Uhura is my last name.”

Yeah… I was done with this flirting. I got up to leave and maneuvered my way through the crowd of dancing adults. I just about reached the door when I heard a punch being thrown. I cringed as I turned and saw that Jim was being badly beaten up by four much bigger men. I panicked as each punch impacted with bone, and the smashing of glass. Memories of my beatings flashed inside my head, causing me to tumble backwards. A pair of strong arms caught me and lifted me up.

“Are you okay?” an older man wearing a Starfleet uniform asked.

“Yes. Yes, thank you.” My eyes lingered at his badge. Starfleet. Damn.

The man nodded and made his way over to the fight. A loud whistle pierced my ears. It must have been him. The whole building silenced. He ordered everyone to leave, and so we did. I decided to wait outside for Jim, but as minutes turned to almost an hour, I was getting bored. I was about to leave, but the same man opened the door and rushed past me.

Seeing my chance, I got up from the ground and opened the door just as Jim started to walk out. I bumped into his tall figure, and almost fell backwards again before he caught me. “I’m-“

“It’s fine,” he sighed. “Peyton… right?”

“Yeah,” I squeaked in reply.

“What are you still doing here?” he asked lazily.

“I just wanted to make sure you were okay.” I bit my lip and stared at the ground awkwardly.

Jim chuckled. “You’re cute, you know that?”

I avoided his comment. “So what did the man tell you?” I asked.

“Pike?” He wrapped an arm around my small 5’4 figure. “It was nothing. So where do you live?”

“Wha-what?”

“It’s getting late, and a young woman as yourself shouldn’t have to walk home all alone, so I’ll take you. Where do you live?”