Chapter 1

DISCLAIMER:

I (SADLY) DO NOT OWN STAR TREK OR ANYTHING RELATED TO STAR TREK, I ONLY OWN PEYTON AND HER FATHER. (Possibly more in the future)

+*+*+*+*+

“It’s all your fault! She wouldn’t have left me if it wasn’t for you!” My father yelled, his breath smelling strongly of cheap beer. He smacked me once, twice, three times across my face. He grabbed me by my shoulders and slammed me against the nearest wall, continuing to yell in my expressionless face. 

After twelve years of continuous abuse from him, I developed a tolerance for this behavior. He’d come home from his late hours at work, then he’d hit the large stash of alcohol in our fridge, and he’ll beat me until he passes out. My mother left my father and me back when I was nine. I couldn’t exactly say things were better when she was still here, but she’d keep my father in line.

That’s one of the only things I admired about my mother. Her ability to stick up for herself and her stubbornness. She never really loved me. If she did, the woman would have taken me with her when she left us for another man. I hope she’s happier now- she used to never smile. It was only in old photographs from before she and my father married. Before me.

Before long, as always, my father fell unconscious on the floor. I glared at him, I wasn’t going to help him to bed this time. I turned toward the wall. Its flower wallpaper was peeling, and the beautiful flowers were faded. The clock mounted on it read 8 PM. It was still early- why not go out? I went upstairs and put make up on to cover up the newly forming bruises and grabbed my old hoodie, then headed out. Iowa was a boring place, nothing to do. Passing a random bar, I decided to get a drink. Like father like daughter, right?

Entering the bar, I realized I had made a big mistake. The place was filled with people and I got anxious just by looking at all the people. I’ll just have a few drinks to clear my mind, then I’ll head back home, I told myself.  I took a seat next to a man around my age, maybe older. He had messy blonde hair and dazzling blue eyes. If I was like any other girl, I would be drooling and be all over him in a heartbeat. But seeing as I am me, I obviously didn’t have a chance. So why bother?

He turned and looked at me with a smirk. “I’m Jim,” he smiled. “Jim Kirk.”

“I’m Peyton,” I replied softly. The bartender looked at me expectantly. “I’ll have a strawberry daiquiri please.”

“And I’ll have another shot, too, please. Make both on me,” Jim told the man.

He simply nodded and left to get our drinks.

“You didn’t have to do that,” I said shyly. “I could have paid for it myself.”

“I’m sure you could have, but I needed an excuse to talk to you.” He smiled a cheeky grin and I knew that he must have did this often.

I blushed slightly and turned back to the counter. The bartender placed our drinks in front of us and I simply stared at it, while Jim downed his in one gulp.

“It’s not going to drink itself, you know,” Jim laughed drunkenly.

“Heh, yeah…” I took a sip of my drink and bit my lip.

“So, Peyton. Do you come here often?”

“No. Not really. I just- I just needed to get out, you know?” I am so proud of myself. This is the longest I’ve ever held a conversation with somebody- especially someone as attractive as this Jim Kirk.

“Yeah,” he nodded, “I do know.” He leaned towards me and I stiffened. He reached towards my face and brushed my bangs away from my face. “Why do you hide your face? You have such nice eyes.”