Significance - Chapter Seven

I walked home slowly. I felt the pull to go back to Kyle's house. It didn't seem quite as bad since I understood what was happening this time.

Kyle only lived six blocks away. I paused at the red light and remembered the last time I was here on the other side; watching a dark haired boy bob his head to his music. I'd thought he was so normal, so human, but boy how wrong had I been?

The light turned red and I looked before making my way across. As soon as I turned the corner I saw her flames of red curls blowing in the breeze. Her scowl was firmly in place as I made my way down my walkway.

Rebecca.

"So, you've completely just cut me out. Is that it?"

"What? No. Look, I know seeing me with Kyle last night looked bad but we aren't dating, far from it. I didn't leave you out of the loop. I promise."

"It certainly looked like there was a loop and that I was out of it."

"Nope. No loop. Nada. Kyle is just a friend. He was...helping me with something last night, that's all."

"You know it's been a week and a half since I've even talked to you. You haven't returned any of my text or voicemails, even at the diner."

"Beck, I'm sorry, all right? I've been having a hard time lately. I just didn't want to drag you down with me."

She stood up off the steps and came to stand in front of me. "Mags, you know better than that. I'm a glutton for drama and baggage. You know this," she joked but stepped forward a little and looked at me seriously. "You could have talked to me."

"I just didn't want to talk about it. I don't want to think about it."

"Look. Your mom is a skeez for leaving, but your dad has no right to treat you like this just because he's angry or depressed or whatever. He needs to chill and take a Prozac. He's still your dad. He still has responsibilities."

"I know, but he apparently doesn't, or doesn't care."

"So you thought Kyle - class clown Kyle - could help you with your problems and not me?"

She looked so hurt and bothered, I felt terrible. I had ignored her and purposely avoided her and there really was no good reason for it.

"I'm sorry. Really." I grabbed her purple nail polished hand and squeezed. "You're right. I've been avoiding you. I've been avoiding everyone and everything. I completely screwed myself this year and I didn't know what to do. I just didn't want you to see me like that. I was almost as bad as my dad."

"That's impossible. Your dad's practically catatonic," she scoffed.

"That's what I said." I grinned at her. "I love you, Becky Wecky."

"Ahh, you haven't called me that since second grade." She smiled widely and it felt so good to see. I missed her. "I love you, too, Maggie Waggie."

She grabbed me in a hug and squeezed me. Then she grabbed my hand and started to tow me down to the sidewalk.

"Come on. You're spending the night at my house."

I stopped her. "I can't. I have a...date."

She screwed up her lips. "Kyle, again."

"No. Kyle's cousin, Caleb."

"Wow." She grinned deviously. "You're really making the rounds, aren't you?"

"Shut up!" I yelled playfully. "I'm not dating Kyle."

"So, Caleb is Kyle's cousin. Where did you meet him?"