18.

The following morning, Harry woke up with Louis still in his arms.

He rubbed his eyes, and realized that they must have fallen asleep last night while Louis was crying.

His TV was still on, and they were on top of the blankets, signaling they'd fallen asleep while Harry was comforting Louis.

When Louis came into his room the previous night, he was a mess and it almost broke Harry's heart to see him like that.

The situation with Louis' parents was always a sensitive topic for him, so Harry completely understood that when he'd had the nightmare Louis was terrified.

The poor boy was crying his eyes out, even as Harry rocked his body and pressed kisses to his head, reassuring him that he was there and that he would always be there. And soon enough, they'd fallen asleep with Louis pressed up against Harry's chest, clutching his shirt as he sought refuge in his best friend.

Harry blinked a few times and stretched as best he could without moving so he wouldn't wake Louis up, before he looked down at the sleeping boy, and smiled.

Louis looked so peaceful, sleeping in his embrace, so Harry reached down and moved his fringe out of the way, so that he could press a light kiss to his forehead.

And that was when he noticed the look on his face.

It was tearstained, and Harry's shirt was slightly wet still, but the expression definitely looked so relaxed and at home, and that filled Harry with hope. Because if Louis felt at home in Harry's arms, then maybe there was hope that Louis could feel the same way about Harry, that the younger boy felt for him.

Harry bit his lip as he admired Louis' beauty, and caught himself when Louis started to stir.

"Hey," Harry whispered as Louis slowly sat up and rubbed his eyes, looking around the room before his gaze landed on Harry. "How you feeling?"

Louis stretched his arms above his head, as he moved a little further away, seemingly nervous about something. He looked away and shuffled back on the bed as Harry sat up too, crossing his legs while Louis did the same so they were sitting opposite each other.

"Um, yeah." Louis mumbled, fiddling with his fingers instead of looking at Harry as his forehead crinkled in a frown. "Listen, I'm sorry about last-"

"Don't apologize." Harry said softly, cutting him off and simultaneously making Louis look up at him. "You don't need to apologize for that. This is what best friends are for, Lou. I-I'm here."

Louis' face softened as Harry continued, saying all the things Louis needed to hear. He was really scared that he had frightened Harry of by coming on so strong last night and being so emotional in front of him after only just becoming friends again, but Harry had just put all his worries at ease.

"You know when we were kids?" Louis said with a smile. "And we had those walkie-talkies in our rooms and you would come over whenever I asked and I would come over to your whenever you asked."

"Yeah." Harry nodded with a little laugh. "They were the days."

"Yeah," Louis laughed too. "Last night kind of reminded me of that. Like, I needed you and you let me come over."

"I'll always let you c-come over, Louis." Harry whispered, and Louis smiled, leaning forward to wrap his arms around his best friend's neck.

Harry was taken aback by his sudden gesture, but hugged him back anyway, glad that Louis was opening up to him.