Prologue

A lone shape travels down a narrow cobblestone archway, casting a shadow in the torchlight that is neither animal nor human. It seems to be in a constant state of change. One moment there are long tentacles that writhe in the air like hands at a concert, but they soon morph into the stomping thunder of an elephant's hoof. The chirping squeak of a bat pierces the cavern's silence, causing its current occupants to reply in kind. 

The creature continues that way through the underground passage until it reaches an opening into a wider space. It stands at the entrance to the chamber and waits. Tiny trickles of blue light flow from beneath the entity. The iridescent power flows like a river of light through thousands of tiny channels carved into the floor until in arcs to the top of the cavern in an explosion of light, only to flutter down like snowflakes, filling the space with an eerie blue glow. A few moments later a deep but wispy voice echoes with power and authority.

"Your sacrifice is accepted. Enter unadorned."

The uncertain shape twists and turns until the form of a young man is left standing fully clothed on the spot. He brushes his hands through his thick brown hair, massaging his scalp as he does. Tiny embers of light pop up through his hairline, only to disappear moments later. His chiselled features belie a deeper wisdom that seems carved into his face. The deep, thrumming voice chuckles condescendingly once more.

"You have had your scalp done and before your twenty-sixth year of mortality no less. Impressive. What percentage are you now?"

The young man stretches his back for a moment, allowing his thick biceps to enjoy the freedom afforded by his black leather vest. His combat boots echo off the stone floor as he approaches the middle of the cavern. He then faces the figure cloaked in the shadows beyond. The torchlight around the room suddenly flares to life, causing the young man to hold his hands up to his face to shield it from the intense heat. The added light illuminates the tattoos that adorn both of his arms from wrist to shoulder. A dragon snakes its way around his right arm, its claws glowing with a bright blue flame. Between the coils of the creature are dark clouds that seem to swirl as the man moves. Tiny bolts of blue lightning periodically emanate from them and sizzle off his skin. On his left arm is a bull in full charge. Its nostrils are flared and seem to emit a similar kind of energy. The man flexes his left arm, making it look like the hooves of the beast are pounding forward while surrounded by winged serpents that hiss along with the charge.

The flames die down slowly, allowing the young man to approach the figure. In the limited firelight the dimples on each of his cheeks sparkle as he puts on a carefully rehearsed smile. Even that is not enough to hide the sweat on his face or the furrow of his eyebrows. The shadowy figure laughs with amusement.

"You look nervous. I asked you a question, Glyph."

"Ninety percent, Mastara Aman."

"You must be getting anxious being so close and yet so far. Only five percent away until you can claim immortality. Can you imagine being able to stay as you are for the rest of time? What do you think that would feel like?"

Glyph licks his lips and a subtle tick forms around his right eye. He takes a deep breath and hangs his head slightly before speaking again.

"I am a patient man, Mastara. I have only been at this level for a few months. Nothing like you though. I can't imagine the frustration at having reached your goal, only to have your enemy literally tear it from your flesh in your moment of triumph. A half a percent away must feel like a mountain in the present climate."

The nostrils of the bull snort at his comment and a low hiss comes from the mouth of the dragon.

The flames around the room flare once more, sending Glyph to his knees. The voice of Mastara Aman thunders through the cavern once more.

"You presume too much, boy. You forget that some of that power is still mine to wield!"

Blue lightning bolts surge from the walls but stop a few inches from the surface of his skin.

"Of course. My MOST sincere apology if I offended."

Mastara Aman chortles once more.

"I will ignore your insult, boy...for the moment. You were not brought here for your opinion. Your skills are required."

Glyph immediately jumps to his feet, eyes ablaze.

"You have found it?"

"Indeed. You are to use all that you have available to obtain what we need. If you succeed, we will complete the ritual. You will be counted among us if you succeed. The world in all of its splendour will be yours for all time. Is that enough to tantalize you?"

The young man grits his teeth and clenches his fists. His tone suddenly changes from sarcastically flippant to deathly serious.

"You don't need to tell me anything else. I can take it from here."

The shadowy figure merely laughs and says, "I hope so...for your sake!"

Glyph then closes his eyes as if in deep concentration while bringing his fingers together in an intricately woven pattern. A bright blue light suddenly begins to form around his body, bathing him in a nimbus of energy that intensifies as he holds the pose.

"You forget, Mastara. I see everything!"

The blue aura then collapses into his body, travelling through invisible veins that snake all over his form. The extra light illuminates his face. His eyes are closed tight, revealing a set of hawk's eyes tattooed on his lids. The energy suddenly pools in his cheeks until Glyph's body begins to change once more. His heavily muscled arms shrink in size while his skin sprouts long feathers. His tragically handsome face bubbles with blue power and gels to form a majestic raptor. The hawk is at least twice the size of a normal bird and pulses with energy. The only other feature to mark him as the man that he was the bird's eyes. One is blue while the other is green, just like the human that owns them.

"Bring it to me, Glyph or I will flay the skin from your body and distil the essence of your ink to complete my final half a percent!"

With a shrill cry of acceptance, the massive bird bows and then takes to the air. Upwards he climbs until he exits the chamber through a tiny hole in the ceiling far above the cavern's floor. Mastara Aman watches the man with interest until he is nothing more than a tiny blue pinprick of light streaking like a meteor across the velvety night sky.