Chapter 16

"Seriously guys, I've told you the story four times now! It isn't going to change if I say it again."

"Well that's where you are wrong, Dhalia. I found that it was very different during each of the courses that we have had so far..."

"Wendy...what courses are you talking about? This isn't school!"

"Not those kinds of courses, silly. I meant food courses..."

"Food courses? Wendy, I'm as confused as Citra and Dhalia. What are you talking about?"

"Well, I found that the story was far sweeter during the liquorice and candy stage. The freezer seemed colder during the ice-cream portion. Dean seemed far hotter during the chocolate platters and the whole thing seems rather spicy in the current Dorito phase."

Citra stares at her with mouth open wide.

"Wendy, we need to find you a man. It's an emergency. I might call your parents myself!"

"Thanks but if I get a part time job I could do it myself. It's all I need, obviously!"

As soon as she says it Wendy falls back into my bed and covers herself with as many pillows as her arms can grab. It's a good thing she does, because Citra, Michaela and I bombard her with stuffed animal's moments later. The air is soon thick with plush fur and feather-filled cotton bags. My pink accent pillow travels through the air and accidentally sends my lamp crashing to the floor. It lands with an audible clank but is otherwise unharmed. Wendy calls for an immediate cease-fire and tries to shush the rest of us.

"Wendy, relax, Bibi is almost deaf! We could bowl down the hallway using pots and pans as pins and she wouldn't hear us."

"I know, but I just need to stay sharp. When I'm at home I can't afford to relax for a second."

"That's why we're having the sleepover here, Wendy. Michaela's and Citra's parents would have told us to shut up hours ago, don't you agree?"

"Ummffggmdggghh.."

"Try it without the chips in your mouth."

"Good point."

Citra suddenly starts looking around the room.

"What is it, Citra?"

"What time is it?"

"Twelve thirty-one. Why?"

"Dhalia's first official day of work finished half an hour ago! We have to celebrate this properly. Dhalia, pass me four empty cups."

She then turns away from us and starts rummaging through her bag.

"What are you getting?"

"This!"

"Whoa. Citra, is that ...alcohol?"

"Very good, Wendy. It's vodka. How did you know?"

"It looks dangerous!"

"How can a bottle look...you know what, I changed my mind, I don't want to know."

"What I want to know is why you brought it into my apartment!"

"Relax, Dhalia, don't be such scaredy-cat. Here, I'll just pour a little bit into each cup. There wasn't much left anyway."

Wendy's eyes go wide with surprise.

"CITRA! That is way more than a little. That must be at least two-hundred and fifty millilitres!"

"Wendy, do you ever turn that brain off? You know what, don't answer that one either."

Wendy folds her arms and closes her eyes.