Chapter 20 // Pulchritudinous

"Does the dress fit okay?"

"Y-Yes, it's perfect."

"Hurry out so we can see!!"

I took a deep breath, looking into the narrow mirror and staring at an almost unrecognisable reflection.

I pushed aside the curtain and stepped out, turning shyly towards Gi and Kyungsoo. They both stopped their chatter as soon as they saw me, their eyes widening.

My cheeks started to grow hotter as I looked down at the gorgeous, milky white fabric, falling in waves of delight around me. The rhinestones dotted on the dress glinted with every tiny move I made, making me feel very glamorous. I looked at the sweetheart neckline and the intricate detail along it. Looking at it this closely made me feel so very strange inside.

"M-Min-Hyo..." Kyungsoo stared at me, his mouth hanging open.

I smiled shyly and twirled the skirt around a little, the glittering bouncing off every surface.

"It looks beautiful." Gi whispered, pulling out a patched up handkerchief and blowing her nose.

I turned towards the mirror back in the little changing room, staring at the dress in awe. I felt a lump form at the back of my throat as I suddenly realised that I could be pretty in such dainty things.

I saw Kyungsoo stand behind me, staring at the reflection as well.

"You're so beautiful." He gently whispered into my ear.

I turned around and saw him blink at me, suddenly getting flustered.

"T-The dress! I-I-I meant the dress." He stuttered, running a shaky hand through his messy hair.

"I know it is," I giggled, swirling back and looking at the dress again. "B-But I can't wear this. Some other girl deserves this more than I do."

"Nonsense!" Gi yelled, shuffling over to me. "You are a pulchritudinous young woman who deserves and equally pulchritudinous dress for a ball she is going to blow out of the water!"

Chuckling at her use of strange words that I'm not even sure exist, I eyed up the reflection and felt a sudden twang of self-confidence, of worth.

"When we show up at the ball, everyone will turn their heads." Kyungsoo smiled, laying his hand on my bare shoulder and rubbing it slightly.

I bit my lip and spun round to face Gi.

"How much do I owe you?" I asked with a small smile, taking one look down at my dress and sighing in happiness.

Gi just stared at me. She suddenly let out a horrendous cackle, almost shaking the building down.

"You don't owe me anything, my dear!" She chuckled.

"A-Are you sure?" I looked at Kyungsoo then back to Gi. "I'm sure I have enough money to-"

"Min-Hyo, my sweet," She placed both her old hands either side of my face. "Why would I ask for money off of a beautiful girl that looks like a Princess?"

----

"I still can't believe you." I chuckled.

"What? Why?" Kyungsoo asked with slight concern, but mostly intrigue.

I kicked a little stone off of the pathway, not even noticing we were coming up to the Castle.

"Getting your Grandmother to make a dress for a girl she's never met before and not letting her pay for it!"

"Min-Hyo, will you ever stop moaning and just enjoy what's come out of it?" Kyungsoo joked, rearranging the dress bag over his arm. "At the end of the day, you woke up thinking you'd have a full day of work and preparation but you were taken out of that and put into a shop filled to the brim with handmade, beautiful dresses. You were handed one, tried it on, had multiple compliments hurled at you and you got this gorgeous dress. For FREE might I add."

"Alright, alright!" I rolled my eyes and nudged him a little. "But thank you, thank you so much."

Kyungsoo just shook his head and stopped outside the door.

"It wasn't all me, remember." He patted the dress over his arm.

I just giggled when Kyungsoo knocked on the door, waiting for someone to come and open it.

The door was suddenly hauled open, an elderly servant standing there looking horrified.

"Your majesty! There you are! There has been a tragedy happen in your absence." She bowed slightly, her breath uneven.

Kyungsoo became serious, following the maid as she lead him down the corridor.

I hurried behind, pushing the door closed first.

We were lead down the corridor and towards a crowd outside the servant headquarters, all of the maids outside and either weeping or hugging each other.

I caught Soon-Yi's eye and she hurried towards me, tears falling down her cheeks.

"Oh, Min-Hyo!" She sobbed, flinging her arms around me and squeezing me.

The elderly maid lead Kyungsoo through the suddenly silent crowd and to the door, looking down at the stairs solemnly.

I followed behind, holding Soon-Yi's hands as I did so.

I peered, down at the stairs and couldn't believe what I saw.

It couldn't be her. How could this happen?

Yoona was sprawled out on the stairs, contorted strangely. Her once happy eyes all glazed over and silent. There was blood dripping down the last couple of stairs from the back of her head, her dark, long hair covering parts of it.

I suddenly felt weak, my knees buckling.

I grabbed onto Kyungsoo, trying to stand up straight. I turned my head away, burying my tears and face into his chest as he wrapped his arms around me tightly.

I started to sob hard, my shaky breaths hurting my lungs, but the pain of seeing Yoona was much stronger.

I clung to Kyungsoo for a few more minutes, just crying and shaking my head.

I heard Kyungsoo tell the others to calm down and go and sit down, leaving the both of us alone.

"T-This is fake. It can't be real." I tried to speak in between sobs, my lips quivering so much.

"Shh, Min-Hyo." He gently pulled me down, letting me sit on the floor and lean on him.

I continued to heave and sob, trying to convince myself this was some twisted dream.

Kyungsoo continued to hold me for what seemed like forever, rubbing my back and cooing into my ear that everything was going to be okay.

~~~~

A/N: Hello everyoneee~!!!

I am so sorry I've been gone for so long and giving you this horrible update but I felt very sophisticated tonight and decided to write something for you all!!

I'm also very sorry about the sudden plot twist at the end, I was planning this but I wasn't sure with who and I just started writing and I'm sorry :(

Anyway, I hope you're all doing well and I hope you enjoy this short chapter!

I will be starting my new BTS book soon, so please stay on the lookout for that^^

Saranghaeyo~ // Olivia-Nim <3