Chapter 9

"Do you wanna get something to eat?" Mikey asks after the movie ends. "If you want" I look at the clock on my bedside table, 5:49pm. "Pizza?" Mikey suggests and I nod, "is it alright if I have a quick shower?" I ask and Mikey shrugs, "sure." I give Mikey the home phone and a spare flyer before going to the bathroom.

"What did you order?" I ask, letting myself fall backwards onto the couch next to Mikey. "A meat lovers, is that okay?" I nod and move over so our arms are no longer touching. When the doorbell rings Mikey insists on coming to the door with me to, and I quote, protect me from murders and junk. "What time do you have to be home?" I ask as we sit back on the couch, "before 10" he tells me, checking the clock on the wall.

"You should go to bed" Mikey says after I yawn. I try to tell him that I'm not tired but I cut myself off with another yawn, "I don't want you to leave though..." My eyes widen and my cheeks redden when I realise I said that aloud, Mikey also looks slightly taken aback before he smiles, "I won't then."
Mikey and I lay facing each other on my bed, quite a large gap between us. I'm not going to lie when I say I'd rather be closer to him, but that would probably make things awkward. We make idle chat for a couple of minutes before I feel my eyes closing, as I'm drifting to sleep I feel Mikey put his arm tightly around my waist.
I wake up to a phone loudly ringing, "hello?" Mikey pulls away from me to answer it. "Sorry we fell asleep... Can I just stay the night?" I hear the person on the phone sigh and eventually agree. When Mikey puts his phone back he sees me awake, "it was my mum." He says, "I'll probably leave before you wake up" he tells me and I nod, letting him pull me closer and wrap his arms around me.

I groan as the annoying sound of my alarm fills my ears, I'm almost tempted to try and skip school today but decide against it when I realise my parents would freak out. As I'm boiling the kettle I notice a note on the counter, 'I woke up extra early so I could buy you  breakfast (I would've just made it for you but I'm pretty sure your parents wouldn't be happy to come home and find their kitchen burnt to a crisp.) -Mikey' I smile at the note and put it back on the counter where I found it, making a mental note to put it in my room later. After eating the breakfast Mikey bought me and drinking my coffee I fast walk to my room, feeling oddly excited about going to school today.

I look around the corner and see Mitchell holding Mikey against the wall, without thinking I walk forward "what do you think you're doing?!" I yell causing Mitchell to almost drop Mikey. "Just leave." Mitchell tells me, annoyance clear in his voice. "Fuck off!" I scoff and he sighs, stepping away from Mikey and shoving me against the opposite wall. "I said leave!" He yells, raising his fist to punch me when Mikey grabs hold of his arm. "Don't touch her" Mikey angrily whispers and Mitchell rolls his eyes before shaking his arm out of Mikey's grip and stalking away. "What the fuck did you do that for?" Mikey sighs before pulling me into a hug, "no matter how much he hurts me I don't want you getting involved" he tells me, pulling away enough so he can look me in the eye. "Okay" I nod, even though I know I won't be able to keep my word.

"Are we waiting for Mikey?" I ask as I meet the others outside the school gates, "didn't he tell you? He got grounded for staying out on a school night, he got into extra trouble for staying at a girl's house as well." Gerard explains, "I told you they'd get together." Frank grins, elbowing me slightly. "Why do you automatically assume Mikey stayed at my house?" I ask, "because he doesn't know any other girls." Ray says in a duh voice. "Nothing happened between us." I after a short amount of silence, causing them to grin. "Sure" Gerard mumbles and I punch his shoulder. "Can we just go?" I sigh and we start walking.

I wave goodbye to the others before walking in the opposite direction, as I'm passing an ally someone roughly grabs my arm and yanks me back. Mitchell pins me to the wall, his hand over my mouth. "I'm not going to hurt you... Yet. But if you try to run or scream, I won't hesitate to give you the same treatment I give those freaks you hang out with." He snarls and I frantically nod, "I'll cut you a deal. I'll keep beating up the freaks, and you stay out of it. Deal?" He moves his hand from my mouth. "N-no, I can't let you hurt my friends" I stutter. "Well, that's to bad." He sighs, "why don't you leave them alone?" I ask, "I'm a bully." He responds. I feel a tear roll down my cheek but I don't pay it any attention, "let me go" I whisper. Mitchell grins at me before harshly pushing me to the floor, "I'll leave 'em alone for a week. But after that if you interfere again I'll make sure to add you to my list." He says patronisingly before delivering a kick to my side. After he leaves I crawl to my bag and grab a piece of gum, leaning on the wall as I try to steady my breathing. I wipe my tears away and collect my things, checking my reflection on my phone screen before continuing my walk home.

Sorry for the delayed update, I've been having writer's block and haven't really had the chance to write, but I've redone the plan so hopefully that'll make things easier and I'll be able to update more regularly.
Anyway, thanks for reading!
-Mae