| prologue |

//

1607,
Dean's POV

"Father, don't you think this is astonishing?" I said as I came up behind my farther to look at the new world. I placed a hand on his shoulder, and smiled in excitement. I had heard rumours of the new world, and never would have assumed we would be moving there.

"I do, son." He turned and smiled at me, then turned around to the captain. I watched him walk away, balancing on his cane. I signed. I remember when he came home from battle, his knee never fully healed. To be honest I wasn't sure if my father had returned. This man, now, still held my fathers features -- but he wasn't exactly the same. I had later on joined our military to take his place.

I watched as the dark cold waters splashed against our ship. It had been a long journey, and not many of us made it. A illness had taken most of the crew and passengers. I eventually tore my gaze from the waters and headed below deck. I found my little brother, laying in bed with beads of sweat on his face. Like I had said, there was illness and it had captured my dear little brother Sam.

"Sammy," I whispered, wondering if he was awake.

"Dean." He whispered quietly and I couldn't help but smile sadly as I made my way over to him. I kissed his forehead but soon regretted it. He was getting worse. His body looked so fragile, and I could see from his waist and cheekbones that he wasn't getting the proper medicine or nutrients. "It's going to be alright, Sammy. I'll find a way to make you better." I vowed, as I took one of his small hands into my big ones. He was only nine years old. He shouldn't have had to deal with this. He was too young.

He was my little brother. My Sammy.

"Don't call me ... Sammy." He said tiredly. I scoffed, I was glad he had a little fight left in him. He would need it. I petted his hair, and he just growled in disapproval. I smiled, I missed him. "I'll call you what I desire." I paused. "Sammy." With that, I squeezed his hand for one last time and made my way back to the deck.

I found my father arguing with the captain. I just pinched the bridge of my nose before making my way to them.

"Sir John Winchester, there isn't any!" The captain yelled. I saw my fathers face consumed by anger.

Oh no.

I watched as he punched the captain across the face. I immediately ran towards the two, not caring that they were practically on top of each other. Other passengers were looking at them in shock and horror. I was just embarrassed. "Father! Stop it!" I said while trying to pry him off the captain-- who I could see was suffering with a busted lip and bloody nose. He wrapped his arms around the captain as he struggled under my fathers hold. I eventually got a good grip on him and pulled him off the captain who just laid there, coughing and sucking in breath. When my father tried to get up, I pushed him back down and gripped his wrists. I watched as his eyes went from rabid to regret. "What were you thinking?!" I questioned him, as he still struggled underneath me, but I wouldn't let him escape.  He signed. He finally met my gaze-- which was probably furious-- and just stared at me. "Well?" I asked, growing impatient.

"He said there's no cure for Sam." I looked over to the captain, who was being helped up by other passengers. They gave my father death glares. I turned back to him, and then got off him, not even bothering to help him up. Some members of the crew came over to me and padded me on the back for helping the captain, but I just waved them off. I didn't feel good about it, all I could focus on was that there was no cure.