Chapter Twenty-Six: The Flashback Part II

Three knocks were made at the door. A woman carrying a baby that was no more than a couple months old, opened the door. The woman had pale beautiful skin, gray eyes and long straight black hair. She wore a hot pink t-shirt under a gray hoodie, black yoga pants and white socks. The baby she carried had pale skin, tuffs of black hair and was asleep. The woman cradled her baby in her arms as she opened the front door of her manor. At the door, stood a woman who appeared to be twenty with beautiful blonde hair, electric blue eyes and gorgeous fair skin. She wore a neon blue puffy winter jacket, blue jeans and brown boots with fake fur. It was wintertime and it was snowing a lot. The blonde haired woman shivered from the cold. The black haired woman welcomed the blonde haired woman into her house and they sat together in the living room.

"It's very nice to see you again, Anthea," said the black haired woman.

Anthea shivered as she took off her coat.

"Right back at ya, Mckayla," said Anthea, "I just wish the weather conditions were nicer. It's freezing outside!"

"Could be worse," said Mckayla, "you could be walking through the frozen tundra of the Ice Kingdom."

Anthea shivered at the thought.

"That's very true, I will never understand why some ice wizards would choose to live there," said Anthea, "I know they are born with a natural immunity to the cold, but they must still feel it. At least it's warm inside your house, if I had to stay outside any longer, I would have gone down to the Fire Empire for warmth. Probably without a fire shield spell too."

They both laughed at Anthea's joke.

"So Mckayla, I heard you gave birth a couple of months ago. Is that the new baby?" Asked Anthea.

Mckayla nodded. Anthea squealed with joy.

"Awwww, she's adorable," she squealed.

"Actually, he's a boy," corrected Mckayla.

Anthea looked embarrassed. "Oh yes, he's a very handsome baby boy," she said. She looked at the baby again.

Looks like a girl, she thought.

"If you don't mind me saying, your baby looks a little smaller than most babies I've seen," said Anthea, "I know because I use to deliver them all the time."

Mckayla looked down at her sleeping baby. "It's okay. I know my baby is small, but believe it or not, my baby used to be smaller than he is now. He was born a little ahead of schedule. The midwives that helped me deliver him thought he wouldn't last the first few hours, but after we got him examined by REAL doctors, they were able to determine that he has no physical or mental problems whatsoever and that he should develop normally as time goes by. However, there was one complication they detected."

Anthea put her hand on Mckayla's shoulder. "I know, I sensed it a mile away," she said.

Mckayla looked down at the floor. "I just hope that this won't affect him later in life," she said, "you know how kids can be, what if....."

"Don't worry," reassured Anthea, "when he gets older and starts magic training, he'll be able to control his powers just like his big sister. I bet he'll even be a wizard prodigy just like she is."

Mckayla gave a relaxed smile. "You're right, I'm sure things will get better when he older. He's only slightly smaller than most two month olds and his health has been improving astronomically. He's also such an easy baby. He rarely gets fussy and he really only cries when he needs to be fed or changed. I hope he'll always be this easy to handle."

Anthea gave a warm smile.

"It must be joyful to have children," she said.

"Speaking of which," said Mckayla, "when are you going to tie the knot and have children with a fellow?"

Anthea's warm smile turned into a cold frown. Her blue eyes became cold and hardened, like ice but much colder.

"I no longer have any interest in pursuing a romantic relationship," she said coldly, "for I no longer harbor any romantic feelings for anyone and never will again. Now I must tell you the reason why I came here. I'm afraid this isn't for a friendly visit. There's a matter we must discuss."

Mckayla waited in anticipation for Anthea to talk. Anthea cleared her throat.

"Mckayla, the council knows," said Anthea.

Mckayla froze in shock. Her pale skin became paler. Mckayla gulped.

"H-How.....?"

"One of the oracles ratted you out," said Anthea, "you know how it works. Whenever one of them gets a vision of bad times approaching, they have to inform the council. Please don't be angry with them, the oracle who sees the past died a few weeks ago and you know what that means, soon the other two will die as well. It's a shame too. The oracles are only seventeen. Anyway, the wizard council knows about what Chaos has planned for your children, how she plans to repeat what she did to you and my brother to your children."

Tears rolled down Mckayla's face. She held her baby closer.

"No, I won't let her...." Sobbed Mckayla, "I will never let her hurt my children like she did to me."

Anthea sighed heavily. "It's not going to be easy keeping your children alive. You're still on thin ice with the other council members. They sent me here to tell you there will be a mandatory meeting to discuss the fate of your children."

Mckayla stood up in anger.

"If they take my children's lives......" She growled, "I'll take their lives!"

"Mckayla!" Snapped Anthea, "that's exactly the kind of behavior that is going to effect your kids if you act like this in front of the council. Just be silent during the meeting unless I tell you otherwise. I'll do most of the talking and I swear on the underworld that I will do everything I can to save your children."