Chapter 4

Arriving at the train station, there are swarms of cameramen shoving lenses towards the tributes' faces. Asking, "How does it feel to be a part of the 10th Annual Hunger Games?"

"Who was that man?"

"If it came down to it, would you kill this child?"

Louis paid them no mind. His eyes are fixed on Edith Mayfield, watching the look of terror grow on her face. Tears threaten to escape her eyes as men push and shove their way towards her. He can imagine how frightened she is after being separated from her family. As a child, he always clung to his mother or brothers for support. This girl was alone with no safety net. Louis' initial response is to weave through everyone and guard Edith, hand on her shoulder, urging her to stand by his side as they walked. She clung to him without a choice, gripping his cardigan as they walked forward. Peacekeepers didn't object to it. They became aggressive with the cameramen and threatened to harm them if they didn't stop occluding the pathway.

Being closed in like this made Louis feel claustrophobic. It reminded him of all the adults surrounding him when he was a newly orphaned boy. Some wanted to give him a warm home, while others needed extra hands for labor. Everyone scrambled over to him as if he were some sort of valuable prize. And perhaps he was, considering he was a member of the Covey band, which people across the districts idolized for a brief period of time. But this was too much for the 8-year-old, especially after witnessing his family's limp bodies swing off a branch moments prior. He did the only thing he knew would protect himself: he dropped to the ground, curled up into a ball, and wept into his knees until trepidation ceased...

As they entered the train station, there were no more cameras or press crowded around. Peacekeepers guarded every entrance, exit, and corner to prevent the tributes from escaping. The sun beams through the ceiling glass panes, baking the entire station. Louis wondered how the officers were emboldened in full body armor for hours without air conditioning. He could barely last five minutes without discarding his cardigan.

"Are you okay?" He speaks softly to the young girl who is still clinging to him.

Edith doesn't respond, and he understands. Of course, she's not okay. Nothing about their situation is okay.

Louis ties the cardigan around his waist and rubs the girl's back as he scans the station. He waits for further instructions from the officers. Many of the Peacekeepers banged on boxcars sitting on the tracks in order to get the conductor's attention. After about a half hour, the conductor used a set of keys to open the back of the first boxcar.

Louis furrowed his brows. He doesn't recall ever boarding a cargo with his family to travel around. They used standard passenger trains. Did things change after the war or are they not worthy enough for safe traveling?

"How long until a train arrives?" Louis asks, with curiosity evident in his raised voice, hoping the officers will hear him.

No one responded. A few Peacekeepers quickly tore the tributes apart from each other. Edith screamed in terror, and Louis tried to object, but both were ignored. The girl was lifted off the ground, and Louis was dragged towards the metal boxcar. They were tossed like hay sacks, and Edith's chest hit the metal chains attached to her wrists with a solid impact. She gasped, struggling to catch her breath, and then bursts into tears again. Louis pulled her into his arms and solaced her.

"It's okay." He shushed her and glared at the Peacekeepers. "Hey! Is it safe for us to travel like this!? It's like an oven in here, and there's no light—"

Without allowing him to finish, the officers abruptly closed both metal doors and secured the lock, leaving the tributes confined in a dark and sweltering box. The temperature rose quickly, and it was difficult for them to breathe, but Louis remained calm to comfort the frantic child in his arms.