chapter 22: Living the nightmare

Start from the beginning

Her eyebrows knitted together, while she moved her hand slowly. Suddenly, the translucent figure started wavering.

My heart thudded loudly, blood rushing within the arteries, I saw her raise her arm to her shoulder level and point towards the staircase.

Confused and frightened I looked there again only to find nothing.

I had no idea what she was trying to tell me. Her figure flickered again dimming each second, she opened her mouth slightly but no sound came out.

I stared at her clutching the sides of the dining chair I sat on, until she completely dissappeared. Just as she did a blood curdling scream ripped through the quiet air.

My eyes widened and my head jerked towards the staircase.

"Mom!" I gasped.

I stood up abruptly, making the chair I sat on fall backwards.

I hurried upstairs towards her bedroom as fast as my trembling legs could take me.

Panting I reached outside her room and flung the door open. My heart stopped and my stomach coiled inwards as I took in the dreadful sight infront of me.

My mother lay there on her bed thrashing her arms and legs in front of her. Her eyes were tightly shut off and her tear strained face had gone pale.

Her mouth was parted while she tried to suck in some air into her lungs. With one of her hand she touched her neck, clawing at it and the other lay on the other side of the bed beyond my field of vision.

"Mom," I said in a low voice. I towards her when my steps faltered. I covered my mouth with my hand to stifle a scream which was about to fill the silence. Dark, crimson coloured fluid covered one of my mother's arm. Blood covered that side of her bed where her injured arm rested. I inched closer to her, horrified. Two cuts played across her arm above her wrist, blood gushing out of them. Tears were clouding my vision, I was finally standing beside her. Her eyes were still shut tightly, and her body was now almost still. She had stopped screaming now, only her body twisted in odd postures.

A gasp escaped my lips when I saw an imprint of a hand around her throat.
My body shook slightly, but I couldn't loose myself now. I had to help her, I didn't know how or from what but I just needed her to be okay. I had to be strong for her just like she was everytime I needed her.

I bend down near her extending my arm ahead to hold her hand.

"Mom.." I said, tears brimming within my eyes. Her hands were cold as ice and her body trembling.

"Mom," I said again, shaking her slightly.

Please, please don't do this to me. Not her, anything else anyone else, but her.

Suddenly her eyes shot open, while she simultaneously took an audibly deep breath.

She took a few deep breaths before she took all her surroundings in. I stayed silent all along holding her injured arm carefully.

She finally titled her head in my direction, her eyes bore into mine desperate, exhausted, defeated. More tears fell out of her eyes but I wiped them away.

"Al- Allison, " she said, her lips quivering, my name was barely audible.

"I'm here mom," I told her.

She forced her eyes shut for a moment before trying to get up, gasping as the pain hit her.

I quickly got up and walked over to nearby table in her room, pulling the a drawer open I picked out a first aid kit and rushed back to her.

None of us spoke as I cleaned her wounds. The cuts weren't superficial, as many times as wiped the blood away fresh blood replaced it.

"Mom, we need to take you to the hospital." I said, panicking.

"No, It'll be better in a few minutes. Help me, wrap it up." She said in monotone.

"Mom, look at it, you'll bleed out in no time. Please, let's go" I said, begging her to come.

"Stop panicking Liss, see it's already clotting. I'll be fine, just come here and help me with this." She said, holding out the bandages towards me.

I wiped my tears away and wrapped up her arm carefully.

We both sat there in a suffocating silence for few minutes. Then she cleared her throat and said,

"Won't you ask me about any of this or say anything?"

No.

I didn't want to hear her answer that question, maybe deep down I already knew it.

What just happened was even beyond any of my nightmares. My nightmares sorrounded me with all the pain, all the threats, they were never about my mother. Never.

It was only me who suffered no one else, not her. The only one person who wasn't supposed to be into this, experienced the worst of it.
Why?

What have I done to earn this? First my father was ripped away from me when I was only seven and now my mother?

I looked up at her teary eyed and said,

"I think I already know the answer."

Author's Note :

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!! :D
I hope you enjoyed this scary treat from my side.
Sorry for taking ages to give you another chapter, but I hope this chapter was worth it. :D

We're now #23 in horror and it's only because of your support. You guys just rock! :*

Thank you.

Vote.Comment.Share.