As they continued to walk, Claire saw glass doors that led outside and she wondered if Layton Gardens was actually smaller than it looked on the outside. But then she realized that the doors simply led to center of the hotel, which was an outdoor garden. Heath followed her out as she looked around with awe on her face.

Everywhere, they were surrounded by colorful flowers and shrubs. There was even a tree in the courtyard. Usually, plants wouldn’t be able to grow so perfectly with buildings surrounding it, but because Layton Gardens was bigger in width than with height–unlike Bishop Lodgings, which was larger in the aspect of height–the sunlight would easily be able to touch the plants.

“This is amazing.” Claire breathed as she spotted a fountain in the middle of the garden. There were a few benches surrounding it and she decided to take a seat while she continued to look around.

Heath smiled at her excitement and took a seat beside her before he sipped out of his glass once more. He leaned back and watched the water spout from the marble fountain. The cool atmosphere was very relaxing and Heath took that moment to rest his eyes for a bit.

Claire saw him close his eyes at the corner of hers and look up at the sky. They were in the city, so unfortunately, she wasn’t able to see the stars as clearly as she wanted to. But the moon was visible and she could see it reflect in the fountain water.

Quietly, she stood up and walked over to the fountain before she sat on the edge. She looked down and her eyes widened when she saw that there were actually live fish in there, swimming around with comfort. There were also a few coins in there, even though there was an obvious sign that read to not throw any coins into the fountain.

She smiled to herself, knowing that the owners were definitely children who still believed in throwing coins into fountains to make wishes come true. Claire used to believe in that stuff too.

“I’ve been wondering.” Heath suddenly said and she looked back at him. He was staring straight at her and her stupid heart skipped a beat. “Ever since that incident with Aiden Johnson, I’ve been thinking about you.” Stupid, stupid heart. “And why you’re so…protective of Bishop Lodgings.” He tilted his head. “It’s your job, yes, but employees don’t usually care too much about their workplace’s reputation and just on their paycheck.”

He paused as Claire simply stared back at him. “You don’t have to answer if you’re uncomfortable.” He added cautiously, wondering if he was treading on thin ice.

She raised an eyebrow. “Why’re you asking this now?”

Heath’s shoulders lifted in another nonchalant shrug of his. “It’s quiet here. We’re alone.”

After another pause, he thought Claire wouldn’t answer, but she surprised him by saying, “Are you sure you want to hear the whole thing? It’s pretty long.”

He didn’t hesitate and nodded his head.

Claire took a deep breath and exhaled before she began. “I feel like…Bishop Lodgings is my home. And everyone in there is my family. I’m at the hotel every day before the sun rises to after it sets, late into the night. I know all the employees’ names and they all know mine and whenever something is wrong, whether it is work related or home related, they come to me for advice, as if I’m their older sister that they can talk to about anything and everything.”