Date To Homecoming Part 2

Thomas' POV

She seemed to be getting better for so long. Her hair had started growing back. The color in her face coming back, but then it happened.

(Y/N) woke up one morning, dizzy and practically sleepwalking. I had stayed over that night, not knowing how much longer I would have (Y/N).

I should've been up, all night if I needed to. I should've been there. To catch her. To save her. I wish I would have heard her or that I wasn't such a heavy sleeper.

She walked only a couple steps before she fell. Her body shutting down before she hit the ground.

This time I did hear her. My body immediately sat up and I scrambled to her side. I could feel tears dripping from my eyes as if it was a normal thing, which, by now, it kind of was.

I remember holding her in my arms, yelling for her parents to come in. Yelling for help and to call 911. I remember her limp body pressed against my own and her short, ragged breaths being the only relief of the situation.

I can't remember anything from that point on except for yelling and tears.

The next thing I knew I was here, lying next to (Y/N) in her hospital bed. Holding her hand against my heart. My eyes scan her body over and over making sure I never forget anything about her. I want to memorize every curve, freckle, and feature. Every ounce of her beauty. Just looking at her makes me light headed, knowing I don't know how much time we have left.

I take my free hand and search my pocket. My fingers graze a small velvet box that holds our future. My hand holds it for a moment then releases. I take a deep breath knowing it's now or never.

I watch her eyes, waiting for them to flutter open like they always do. Except this time when they open, they shoot open. I see fear and nervousness in her eyes. Her expression immediately shows me how scared she is right now. I pull her close to my body, rubbing circles on her back, trying to calm her nerves.

She head snuggles up against my chest and I lay my head on top of her's.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" I ask (Y/N), even though I know she's probably scared to death.

"I don't know..." she tells me, taking a deep breath before continuing. "What happened?" she asks. Now it's my turn to take a deep breath.

"You passed out, I think." I try to explain to her, but it doesn't come out very well. I made it sound worse than I wanted it to, even though I made it sound better than it really was.

"Oh." is all (Y/N) says in return.

We just sit there, in silence, for what feels like years before I reach for the small velvet box again. my finger wrap around the case and I pull it out.

"Can I ask you something?" I ask (Y/N). I feel her kind of shift as her head moves to look at me. Her eyes locking with mine. I notice that she's on the verge of tears even before I ask her.

"Yeah, of course." (Y/N) replies, her eyes staying locked with my own.

"Do you love me? Like really love me?" I ask her. She looks at me dumbfounded. Like I just asked the dumbest question ever.

"Of course!" she replies in the cheeriest voice I've heard all day.

"Then can you do me a huge favor." I say, getting ready to whip out the box any second.

"Yeah..." (Y/N) says, confusion on her face. I hand pulls the box out of the pocket of my jeans and her eyes follow.

I watch her face as I slowly open the box, revealing a small diamond and a wedding band. The tears that had been pooling in her eyes now fall within seconds. I gently lift the ring out of the box and hold it in between (Y/N) and I.

"Will you marry me?" I ask her as we continue to lay on the hospital bed. Her weak body seems to jolt to life as she nods her head frantically, words not coming to her.

I slide the ring on her finger and kiss her slowly.

We were married that winter in the light snow fall. I held her cold hands in my own as we said our vows. I still remember it like it was yesterday, even though it was 68 years, 4 kids, and millions of kisses ago. (Y/N) and I didn't just get married that winter. We beat cancer... Together.