14. So Much For Keeping This Just Friends

My moment in Alex's arms was cut short by the loud voices of my friends. I moved to pull away from his warm embrace, but he held on firmly, not ready to let me go. I shot him a sweet smile and turned in his arms to face my friends, my head resting against his firm chest. This felt perfect, sickeningly sweet and amazing.

I was met with the sight of Garrett and Jenny. I'd known them both since kindergarten and they were some of my best friends. They'd been dating since ninth grade, and the silver promise ring on Jenny's finger proved just how serious they were. 

"Hey, Hayden," Jenny said excitedly, while Garrett simply grabbed me from Alex's arms and spun me around in a hug, instead of a traditional greeting.

Once I was back on my feet, Garrett turned to Alex. "Hey, man. I'm Garrett," he introduced himself, his sweet drawl licking at his words.

"Alex. Nice to meet you."

"It rained last night." Garrett smirked, turning back to me. "We should take out the ATVs."

Jenny grinned eagerly and I smiled. "Sounds good," I replied. It had been a while since we'd had a good rain.

"You up for it, Yankee?" Garrett asked, looking at Alex.

"Uhh, sure." Alex shrugged, looking a little lost.

I dragged Alex with me to say goodbye to my mom. She gave him a skeptical look before letting me loose with a few pictures together, a kiss on the cheek, and a goodbye. Jenny and Garrett had to deal with obligatory family pictures and goodbyes also, so Alex and I waited for a few moments.

"So what have I missed while I've been gone?" Alex asked.

"Not much," I shrugged, deciding wisely to leave out how I'd mainly sulked and missed him unbearably the past two weeks. "I just had finals and stuff. I'm working with Aphrodite on barrel racing."

"Yeah?" he grinned. "You've got to show me sometime."

"Don't think you're gonna get out of horseback riding while you're here. Hawk's missed you."

"I've missed him too," Alex said, a frown pulling at his lips. "Has he been okay though? Is he still getting ridden?" The concern in his voice almost made me melt.

"Yeah," I reassured. "I take him out every now and then, and I let him out to run in the pasture."

"Good. We should go riding tomorrow morning, to our meadow."

"Sounds like a plan." I couldn't stop my grin. Our meadow. Alex was back and things were finally returning to normal.

Soon, Garrett and Jenny returned, free from their parents' clutches and we headed to the parking lot, towards Garrett's beloved truck. It was a black F-150 that Garrett called his "baby girl," complete with almost every upgrade and a lift kit.

Alex and I hopped into the bed of the truck, while Garrett and Jenny climbed into the front. Garrett drove to my house, only a half mile from his. Jenny and I got out of the truck and headed inside to change, while the boys continued on to Garrett's. I had no idea what Alex was expecting, but I felt like he would be surprised. Though he was embracing the South, he was still a city boy at heart. 

Jenny and I stopped in the kitchen for a glass of May's pink lemonade and then went upstairs to my room. We talked about clothes and boys and the future. She listened as I told her about Alex and how I hoped this was all I was making it out to be and she explained her nerves about next year. Jenny was going to Ole Miss, while Garrett was heading to University of South Carolina in the fall.

She perused through my closet, picking out a pair of denim cut offs and a black bikini top. I slipped on a pair of light blue denim shorts. They ended just below my ass with slightly frayed edges. It was silly, but I wanted to look good for Alex. I paired the shorts with a revealing white bikini top. Jenny and I headed downstairs where the boys were already waiting, talking about football.