Chapter 18: All On My Own

Start from the beginning

Dean's phone rings and he answers it. To my surprise, it's Cas. Actually, it's pretty funny...a messenger of heaven talking on a cell. Dean tells Cas where we are and a moment later I see Cas striding into the room. I'm still not used to seeing him alive and walking around. It's so euphoric, I almost miss the conversation that's happening until Cas starts talking.

"I've been cut off from heaven, there are certain things that I can't do anymore."

I blink over at him.

"So I guess I can't dislocate my ankle anymore."

I swear the corner of his mouth turns up slightly when I say this. Dean, dad, and Sam don't get the inside joke though.

"What?" Sam asks.

"What?" I reply startled.

"What did you just say?" he specifies.

"When?" I ask.

"Just know."

"When just now?"

"When you were talking to Cas."

I shrug.

"I dunno what you're talkin' 'bout."

"Never mind," he mutters in frustration.

"Alright you two, knock it off," Dad growls, "why else are you here Cas?"

"I need something in order to defeat Lucifer."

I frown at him dubiously.

"There's a weapon that can defeat Lucifer?" I ask.

"No, but there is someone who's powerful enough to do it."

I grimace.

"Yeah, Michael. But he has to take over Dean's body, and that's not happening," I argue.

"Not Micheal. God."

"Well sorry," I say, "didn't mean to piss you off, but who else can defeat Lucifer?"

"No Kristy, I meant God as in the being. God can take down Lucifer."

We all exchange glances. Dean is convinced God doesn't exist, either that or he doesn't give a crap. Both seem like pretty grim options. Cas doesn't accept that though.

"I have given up everything for you and for what? Lucifer still escaped the cage."

I swallow, feeling extremely guilty. Cas is fallen. I can't imagine how that feels...to be estranged from my brothers and sisters because I chose to act out of line and do what's right...actually, I kinda know what that's like.

I accidently meet Cas's eyes and quickly look away, feeling my cheeks heat up. I can't help but be a little guilty. I was a bitch to him...not to mention he's fallen thanks to me. I look down at my hands resting on the back of dad's wheel chair.

"I have a way of to track him down. An amulet that glows brighter the closer you are to God."

He looks pointedly at the necklace around Dean's neck. I raise my eyebrows. Sam gave him that for Christmas one year and I know for a fact that Dean has never taken that thing off. Not even when he showers....not even when he has his 'guests' if you know what I mean.

Dean looks like he's about to argue when I give him a stern look.

"It's not like we can't trust him," I say gently.

Letting go of a heavy, resentful sigh, he pulled the little pendant over his head.

"Just...don't lose it," he tells Cas, handing it over reluctantly.