Chapter 1

Infection of Darkness chpt.1

"So, tell me, what is troubling you Jack?"
"Well.. It's more than troubling.."
"How so? What's the problem?"
"Well... Somethings, following me.. Watching me... It's... It's hard to explain, but.. It's making me feel uneasy ... It feels dark .. like a bad spirit or something"
"An evil spirit? Like a ghost?"
"No.. No more than that, way more then that.. It's something else."
"What is it then?"
"I.. I don't know, but it's not nice.."
"So, your telling me that a ghost or 'evil spirit' is troubling you?"
"Yes, yes it is." I turn my head to the therapist as I cross my feet, I look up at him as I watch him write notes of what I say down onto his clip board.
"Okay.. In what way is it troubling you?" He asks as he lifts his head slightly, his dark green eyes stare down at me, listening carefully.
"Well, like I said, it's been watching me, following me. i-I see him in my dreams, in my nightmares. He's everywhere, I can't get him out of my head.. Heck I can't relax without him whispering into my ear.." I look up at the roof, I stare at the grey ceiling as I watch the fan above me spin smoothly, focusing my eyes on the rotating blades.
"It's a he, hmm?" He puts the end of his pen to his lips, as if he was thinking, he stares at his notes and crosses one leg over the other, he raises his eyes as he listens to me continue.
"Y-yes he is.. He won't go away.."
The therapist lifts his head as he leans in slightly, resting his elbows onto his knees, holding onto his clip board and the pen still to his lips.
"Are u sure this, 'evil spirit' isn't just you stressing or over reacting to an unfortunate event that may have occurred recently?"
I turn my head to the doc, he doesn't seem to believe me. "No, sir, he is real! I see him literally everywhere!" I sit up from the sofa and I stare at my therapist and frown.
"Then where is this ghost now?" He raised his eyebrow, as if to say prove it. He watches my reactions carefully.
I look around and sigh, I knew he was going to ask me this question, and I can't not tell the truth. "He's not here."
The therapists nods, he's got enough evidence to summarise what he has gathered from my behaviour. "Alright Jack," he doesn't sound convinced. He's heard all of my rants before, and he hasn't taken much notice from what I have said.
Before he can continue his sentence I stand up from the sofa I didn't want to sit anymore, I had to stand. "I'm not crazy! Don't you believe me?"
"No Jack, I know that you are not crazy, I know that for a fact. But  honestly ...  I don't believe your story,"
"What do u mean?"
"Ghosts and evil spirits, they don't exist Jack"
"What? Of course they do! They're all around you!"
"Jack, I'm sorry but these feelings and visions your having are just that ... Thoughts! Ghosts and spirits aren't real Jack."
I stand there staring down at him, he doesn't understand. I look at him with desperation in my eyes but he doesn't seem to get it.
"But sir, something is following me ... I can feel it ... It's .... "
He closes his clipboard and rest his pen on top, he looks up at me and gestures for me to sit down. "Take a seat, I'll tell you what I think about your situation."
I nod as I sit back down onto the sofa, I look up at him and listen.
"I think that you are stressing over something that simply does not exist. Your mind is convinced that someone or something is following you, but it's just a simply paranoia."
I shake my head and rub my hair underneath my grey cotton beanie in frustration. I've heard this all before, its not at all what's happening to me. It's real.
"Sir-"
"Jack. You need to relax, you need to rest and try to clear your head."
"Don't you think I've already tried all of those things? I've tried your calm music but he keeps coming back. I've tried your medication and it only made him stronger.."
The doc sighs, he grasps at his pen again and leans back into his leather chair crossing his leg over the other once more.
"We're done here Jack. There's not much more I can do for you. You need to take my advice and try to relax, you will be okay "
I tug on my beanie and pull it down and mumble "Thanks for listening.."
"If you need me Jack just call and schedule an appointment... I am here for you Jack."
I walk out of the room with no response. I'm sick of this, I switched to another therapist a while back because I wanted different results. I know I'm not crazy. But I keep getting the same answers. Well, I can't swap again, ill be back to square one. I shove my hands into my pockets and walk down the hallway frustrated. I watch people go by, they don't seem to notice me, which is strange, I'm usually the loudest and the main attraction. But ever since the Darkness has corrupted my head, I've been so quite. It feels strange, I feel so limited. I stroll my way to the exit and push the doors open with my shoulders and walk out of the building. I look up at the sky above me, it's turning to a dark orange, it's starting to get dark. I grab my phone out of my pocket and turn it on, I swipe the screen and check the time; 5:54pm. Yeah, it's getting really late. I search through my jumper pocket and pull out a hand sized Eye plushy, I smile as the little green woollen eye looks up at me. "It's getting late Sam, we should head home!" I stare at Sam and laugh. I don't understand why people look at me funny when I talk to Sam, he's my little buddy! And he's real! Everyone says he's just a toy, and that I'm too old to talk to him, but he's not a toy, he's a real life eye ball! But obviously they can't see the beauty of something so fascinating. I walk back to the bus stop quickly so I don't miss my bus. I see the bus coming out the corner of my eye, I look up and see that the bus has just arrived at my stop. "There's out ride Sam! Let's go!" I hold Sam close to me as I get on the bus, as the bus doors close I find a empty seat and sit down. I hold Sam up to my face and smile. I listen to him talk, he asks about my day. "Oh I'm ok Sammy, just a lil, ehh..." I hear Sam say 'why?'. Only I can hear Sam talk, my ears are obviously not destroyed like everyone else, everyone listening to head phones blaring in their ears, no wonder why they can't hear a thing. "Oh well, nothing really .. it's just, no one believes me. They think I'm just nuts but you know that's not the case right little dude?" Sam nods, I giggle to myself happily, but my giggles soon faded as I heard other laughs along with mine. I look behind me and see some immature teenagers laughing at me and Sam, they point at me, and laugh.
"Hahaha!! Man child!"
"Dude what a baby!"
"He talks to a stuffed booger! "
I frown, I never take any notice from teenagers, they can be complete assholes to me and Sam, and it's not fair, It hurts Sam's feelings. "It's an eyeball jackass!"
"Whatever you Irish weirdo!"
I roll my eyes and slide down into my seat, staying out of their sight. I hold Sam close to my cheek and stroke his body. "Don't worry about them Sam, they are just meanies. They're jealous that I have an awesome eye like you!" I listen to Sam and chuckle once more. I look out the window with Sam, we watch the sun slowly fall down as the dark trees pass by the window, we watch the scenery scroll past us, it was peaceful. Bus rides with Sam always lift my mood. About 15 minutes later, we reach our stop. I put Sam in my pocket and get up out of my seat, there is no one else on the bus with me anymore, just me and Sam. The bus speeds off behind me as soon as I got off. I'm at the front of my house, it's a very cosy home, not too big and not too small, just right for me and lil' old Sam. "Home sweet home! Come on boy!" I take Sam out of my pocket and hop to the front door, I reach into my pockets again but this time pull out my house keys, I jiggle them around a lil, looking for the right key and insert it into the lock, twist the key and open the door.