Chapter 10

A/N: I don't think I should continue writing this because no one even reads this. Maybe I'll just continue for myself, of maybe I'll just stop writing this.
The first thing Alec was aware of when he woke up was the damp. It was cold, and he could feel the water through his clothes, which happened to be torn in multiple places. The second thing he was aware of was that he was in a cell. A jail cell. Memories flooded back to him, of the Clave, and the Shadowhunters invading the Institute, and the rune on the back of his neck. All because he wanted to be with Magnus forever. The human nature disgusted him, because they acted innately good, but they were the most horrific, selfish, ignorant creatures. Even worse than demons. The third thing Alec was aware of was the cell opposite him, and who was unconscious inside of it. Magnus. He'd have looked peaceful if Alec didn't know him. His eyes were closed softly, but the twitching in Magnus' mouth revealed that fact that Magnus was having a bad vision. Alec wondered if, of both he and Magnus stretched their arms out between the bars, they would be able to touch, to give eachother a comforting squeeze. At that moment, Alec wanted nothing more than to hold on tightly to Magnus, to see his calm cat eyes, to feel his lips, to hear his voice. "It's rude to stare." A voice mumbled, raspy and broken. Alec took it back. He didn't want to hear Magnus' voice, not when it sounded so strained, so painful. "Oh, Mags, how did we get in this mess." "Love." The one word answer was worse than the feeling of demonic poisons surging through his veins. Had Alec caused this? Had his unconditional love, and his need for forever, destroyed any chance of happiness and survival him and Magnus had? Surely, he couldn't have meant it like that? "I'm sorry. It's my fault. I was selfish. But I was only being human, Magnus. Don't hate me, please." "What? Hate you? Oh, sweet pea...I could never...that isn't how I meant it. This-" he gestured to the cells, "This is the Clave' fault. They don't want you to love who you want to love, but trust me, physical manacles are far easier to cope with than emotional ones." "Oh..." Alec hesitated for a moment. "Then why does this feel so awful? Why can't I even cope with this?!" Deep down, Alec was pretty sure that it was just because he was weak. "Betrayal. The Clave was who you relied on, your leaders, your guides. They taught you right from wrong. And then, they destroyed everything you had, and enjoyed the process. But let me tell you, Alexander: people who betray you aren't worth tears, aren't worth your words. Save yourself a breath, because you're not worth them. You're the sapphire to their pebble. And yes--I only used a sapphire because of your eyes, but that's besides the point. You need to realise your worth, Alexander, because your smile is my courage, my strength. I need you, and so do they, but they don't deserve you. I hope I do. You are stronger than you know, and this betrayal is merely an obstacle, an inconvenience, that we, together, will overcome. I promise." Magnus leaned back with satisfaction, having said all he wanted to. "Thank you." Alec whispered, though he still slumped back. "Hey..." Magnus said, sitting upright and scooching towards the cell bars. He reached his slender hand out as far as he could. With a small, almost invisible, smile, Alec reached out and took his hand. It felt like warmth and safety swirling through his blood. It was welcome.