Chapter 8

Alec could hear his heart hammering in his ears. The letter crumpled in his tightening grip, and gave him paper cuts. A million little paper cuts everyday, expect now they were worse. A million deadly demon stings everyday. Magnus, upon seeing his fiancé's pain, snatched the paper out of his hand and tossed it aside. He hugged Alec, who leaned into the embrace. Maryse had a sad look in her eyes as she watched them. "I'm sorry, Alec, Magnus. It really shouldn't have been like this." "He actually disowned me. He--he took my name, my identity..." Alec's voice was barely audible, it was scarcely a whisper, but the words were like heavy lashings of blood as they poured from his lips in melancholy. Maryse nodded. Magnus, hurt for his love, said, "Don't worry, Alexander. You deserve more than him, you always have." Alec nodded stiffly, though the action was so small Magnus wasn't sure if he'd imagined it. "It gets worse..." Maryse sighed, shaking her head to no one in particular. As if on cue, there was a sharp knocking, before the doors came thudding down.
Dozens have Shadowhunters hurried through the Institute, searching each room. "Crap." Magnus stated, yanking Alec to his feet. "I'm sorry...I'm so sorry...I should've stopped them, stopped Robert..." Maryse said, trembling. Alec's head jerked up when he heard a high pitched squeel. Isabelle, clearly, wasn't too happy about the Nephilim coming to arrest her brother. Had it been a different situation, Alec might've found it comical. Now, it frustrated him. Magnus, clamping a hand on Alec's left shoulder, was creating a flame in his palm, prepared to defend. Maryse was still sitting down, crying. She kept muttering about how sorry she was, how much she regretted it. It infuriated Magnus, who didn't think she had a right to be so sad. Members of the Clave, people Alec knew and trusted, came streaming in, armed.
"Alexander Gideon. We have orders from the Clave to arrest you. We may use force if necessary, though the choice is yours." One Shadowhunter said, her voice flat and emotionless. Alec glanced at the faces, not moving. They, for some reason, saw this as rebellion and quickly pinned him to the ground, drawing a rune on his neck to have him lose consciousness. That's when Magnus lost it. "Where's your empathy! He has done NOTHING BUT LOVE ME! HE IS INNOCENT! YOU IDIOTIC, MUNDANE, PSYCHOPATHS!" Magnus yelled, running to them, flames in hand. Upon hurling the embers at the Shadowhunter who had spoken, he was hit on the head with something flat. The last thing he heard was the shrieks of Jace and Isabelle, the whimpers of Maryse, and a harsh voice, dripping with malice and venom, whispering in his ear. "You've done it for yourself now, Bane. The Clave will be glad to see you burn." Then, darkness closed around him, consuming him, and Magnus willingly allowed the crepuscular dark to invade his brain and drag him to a deep sleep.
A/N: Oh damn.