Year 1 | The First Game

Start from the beginning

"Who's Sirius Black?" questioned Lily. Hermione shrugged.

"Did she just-...DID YOU JUST ASK WHO SIRIUS BLACK IS?!" George exclaimed. Lily was taken aback by his sudden outburst but nodded slowly.

"YOU DON'T BLOODY KNOW WHO SIRIUS BLACK IS?!" Fred exclaimed.

"NO!" she responded mockingly, "I DO NOT BLOODY KNOW WHO SIRIUS BLACK IS!"

As they went on with their shouting, Harry stared, with a smile on his face, at the plaque that read their father's name. James Potter, if he was a Seeker and won an award for such, Harry could be carrying on his legacy.

"WELL," continued Fred, "HE'S JUST ABOUT A PRANKSTER LEGEND ALONG WITH THE REST OF THE MARAUDERS WHO WENT TO HOGWARTS!"

"The what?"

"The Marauders, just about the best pranksters Hogwarts has ever seen." George repeated in a calmer tone, rubbing his ears as his brother had shouted in his ear. "Anyway, Sirius Black was James Potter's best friend. They were two known legends in Hogwarts. They pulled the best pranks ever!"

"Yeah." nodded Fred, "We plan to break their outstanding record."

But Lily had stopped listening and became lost in her own thoughts. Harry had a nick for Quidditch, for being a Seeker, in his blood as his father had passed down the quality. Although she was a Keeper, Lily supposed that she may have gotten the gene, as well, since she had also made the team.  Hermione seemed content with the smile on Harry's face, as there was no longer a sign of much nervousness. Before she could inform them of the time, Professor McGonagall beat her to it as she scurried through the corridors towards them.

"Yes, yes, the awards are very pretty. Shiny, too, I might say." she said, "Maybe it will motivate you to win for our house today!"

Ron and his brothers glanced at each other and shared their little chuckled at her yearning for success against the Slytherins. They could not blame her, though. If anyone thought most of the regular Slytherin students were nasty, they had not had the misfortune of meeting the few on the Slytherin team.

"You'd all best get ready. The match will start within the hour." McGonagall proceeded to turned towards Lily, who had managed to pry her eyes away from her father's Quidditch plaque. "Miss Potter, would you care to take a walk?"

Confusedly, Lily nodded and bid her friends farewell. After reassuring Harry that she would make it in time before the match, she followed after the wise professor and matched to her pace. Today, McGonagall sported her velvety dark-green robes that swept behind her and wore a pointed witch hat to match. They began to take a longer route to the Quidditch pitch where the team would be preparing.

"Are you nervous, Miss Potter?"

"I was." responded Lily honestly, "Until I saw our dad's plaque."

McGonagall smiled, as if remembering a distant memory. But she did not bring it up again and instead, changed the subject to a far more interesting one. "I caught word that you and Professor Snape exchanged conversation this morning at breakfast.."

"Oh," I laughed nervously, "You did, did you?"

"Yes. I heard about the mishap in class the other day as well." she continued, "I would like to tell you something that can only stay between you and I, Miss Potter."