Lela bit back a laugh at Mack's exasperated look when the kid next to them snored.

Soon, the class ended and Lela hastily left, eager for fresh-not-boring air. She bowed her head, resting against the wall. God, that class is way too long. I just hope that Mr. Calvin doesn't kill my love for math...

"Hey, are you okay?" Mack questioned as she quickly joined the raven haired girl. Her soft brown eyes were full of worry. "You left in a hurry."

Lela nodded, exhaling deeply. "I'm okay." She smiled weakly at the brunette. "That class was just slowly killing me."

Mack chuckled, tucking back a lock of hair. "Yeah, Mr. Calvin'll do that to you. Don't worry, once we start learning, he'll seem more lively. He's not very good at introductions or talking about himself."

"I can see that."

Smiling, Mack jutted a finger behind her. "Alright, c'mon. Let's go see if Alyssa got Spencer as a partner for Marine Biology."

The two girls started for Marine Biology, located in the hall over. They bumped into a tall blond and a dark skinned boy at the doorway. Mack smiled at them. "Hey, Brady." Her eyes lowered to his feet. "You're wearing sandals," she deadpanned.

The blond—Brady—grinned. "They're my fancy ones," he replied, wiggling his toes. He nudged his friend. "Devon, this is my girl-bro Mack. Mack, this is Devon, my best friend." His dark eyes fell on Lela and his brows knitted together. "Um, hi Mack's friend."

"Lela," the raven haired girl helped with a kind smile. "You know Mack?"

"Oh yeah. We met over the summer. She's the best surfer I've ever seen," he gushed, grinning widely at the brunette.

Lela raised a brow. Mack's a surfer?

"I am not the best," Mack remarked modestly, waving off the compliment. A small blush crept up her tan neck. Lela stared at her in interest.

"Yeah, you are," Brady interjected, turning to Lela. "She rode the biggest wave this summer and it was amazing! She's an incredible surfer."

"I'm really n—"

"Excuse me?"

The teens' heads snapped to the direction of the voice. They all smiled sheepishly at their stoic, bearded teacher. Because of their loud discussion, they didn't hear the bell ring.

"Since it is the first day, I will not penalize your tardiness. Next time however, it's a ticket straight to detention. You should know better—especially when you were right outside the door." The teacher pushed up his glasses, clearing his throat. "Now please, take a seat and let us begin class."

The four students trudged into the classroom, avoiding the pointed looks of their peers, and took their seats, Brady with Devon and Mack with Lela. Class started soon after and the teacher introduced himself as Dr. Jones, their Marine Biology teacher. He then gave each pair a mini-lab as a "fun" activity to do.

Lela organized their necessary supplies and aided Mack in retrieving the correct materials for the experiment. "So, you surf?" she asked cautiously, glancing at the brunette.

"Uh, yeah, I do. I started as a little girl. My grandfather taught me," Mack answered simply. She began checking off what materials they had.

"That's amazing," Lela confessed, smiling softly at the surfer. "I can fix motorcycles and stuff but I can't surf."

Mack paused and faced her, brown eyes shining. "Maybe I could teach you? It's not that hard if you're really persistent on learning."

Their eyes met and Lela's smile broadened. "I'd like that very much."