Chapter 19: Sick Day

Start from the beginning

He looked at me for a long time after that, like he could read the truth in my eyes and he had to be sure it was what he was seeing. So I went ahead and held his gaze, refusing to look away before he found exactly what he was looking for, and when he did, he nodded slowly.

"Okay."

I raised a brow, wanting to ask him the conclusion he'd come to but not wanting to push him. So finally I nodded too and stood and his eyes followed me.

"Are you still gonna work on your case?" he questioned and I shook my head.

"No." I told him. "The chief already put some guys on it. I'll let them do their job."

He surprised me with a smile and I felt a brief tightening of my chest before.

"Do you think you can go check on Timmy? He's normally up by now." Hr requested and with a nod, I stood and crossed the room.

Once I exited, I crossed the hall, thinking on his words and that smile and the night before.

Jesus.

If this constant whirlwind of thoughts and emotions was what it meant to be in love, then I had a renewed sense of respect for people like my parents who'd managed to do it for decades. I pushed open the door to Timmy's room and peeked in, just to make sure he was alright, but he was already sitting up in bed playing with bunny, so he spotted me the moment my head popped in.

He didn't call for me as expected, but instead he dropped the bunny and raised his arms, so I crossed the floor and picked him up.

"Morning little man." I greeted him, noticing his flushed cheeks and runny nose.

He dropped his head onto my shoulder without a greeting in return and I reached up to feel his forehead with the back of my hand.

He had a slight fever.

"Hey, you alright buddy? I asked him gently, but he only reached up to play with the button on my shirt and I ran a hand through his curls.

"You want some tea?" I questioned and only then did he nod, granted it wasn't with his usual enthusiasm.

I pulled the blanket from the bed and wrapped it around his small frame, before turning to exit the room. He was silent as I crossed the hall and when I pushed open my own room door and looked in, Jason was still in bed, a hand thrown lazily over his eyes as he soaked in the sun streaming through the window.

He glanced up when I entered.

"I think he's sick." I told him in a tone that was soothing for Timmy's benefit.

Jason frowned and gestured for me to bring his son to him. When I was next to him, he felt Timmy's cheeks and forehead, much like I'd done earlier.

"You feeling sick babe?" he questioned, but Timmy only watched him. His big eyes looking sad and miserable.

"Can you give him something warm to drink?" he asked, pushing up from the bed with the covers still wrapped securely around his waist. "Just gimmie a minute and I'll come down." He explained and so I did as requested.

I carried the quiet Timmy out of the room and down the stairs. When I placed him on the couch, wrapped the blanket around him and switched on the TV, he didn't even make a fuss. I would have been lying if I said I wasn't worried as I watched him. He didn't even make an effort to suck his favorite fingers.

I made quick work of his tea in the kitchen and contemplated dialing my mom as I carried his cup with the warm liquid back into the family room where he still lay.