Chapter 10: The Alpha Rises

We stayed in the old apartment for around a week but it wouldn’t hold us for long. Louise, John and I thought it would be best for Sarah for us to return to Gaitsborough. We ran this idea by Sarah and she was all for it.

“So when do we leave?” She asked me.

“As soon as you’re ready babe.” I told her. “I just need to run into town but then we can move.”

“Ok, great.” She smiled back. I walked out of the apartment and headed downtown. Most people hope that they only have to do this once in their lives, but I was about to do it for a second time. I had managed to find an old bank card from years ago. I hope my account would still be open. I checked, I was in luck. I had around ten grand sitting in there. I walked in to the building and took about six thousand out. I went to the closest jewellers.

“Can I help you, sir?” The man behind the counter asked me.

“Yeah, I’ve come to buy an engagement ring, but I’m working to a budget, so I was wondering if you could help me here.” I told him.

“Well may I ask how much you’re willing to spend?” He said with an air of disappointment.

“Around six thousand dollars.” I told him. With this, his eyes lit up like he had just been handed a million dollar cheque.

“Well, sir, let me show you the selection we have within your price range.” He said as he strolled down the counter. He pulled out a set of keys and placed them in the lock to take out the selection from inside a glass case. As soon as I looked over the rings, I saw what I had been looking for. There sat a blood red diamond grasped by two golden talons. I had to take it.

“How much is that one?” I asked as I pointed to the ring.

“This is a very exquisite piece. This is an eighteen caret blood diamond. The band itself is twenty-four caret gold. It is being sold for exactly six thousand dollars.” He told me. I reached into my back pocket and pulled out the bundle of money and tossed it onto the counter.

“Count it if you like, it’s all there, I’ll take that ring.” I said to him. It seemed he couldn’t move fast enough. He couldn’t decide whether to deal with the money first or pack the ring. Eventually he handed me the bag with the ring inside.

I walked back to the apartment. When I walked back through the door where Sarah, Louise and John were waiting for me. I put the bag in my back pocket.

“Everybody ready to move? It’s going to be a long ride.” I said. They nodded. “Ok, has everyone gone to the bathroom, I don’t want to have to pull over half way for somebody to take a leak. I’m talking to you John.” I said with a laugh. We left the apartment building and just started to run. We ran north. In mid step, John and I shifted and the girls picked up pace. We were on the boarder of Gaitsborough within twenty-four hours.

“It’s good to be home.” I told John as he was the only one from the pack left.

“Amen to that.” John said. We soon found the old oak tree. John and I shifted again.

“Well this is a lot different from the last time I was here.” I told them. I was right. The last time I was there, the pack was strong, Elizabeth was alive, and I was a different person.

“Paul, a lot has changed in the last four years. You have grown from a boy into a man. You’re a leader, a warrior, a hunter. You’re an Alpha now. You have a woman who loves you, you have loyal friends. You are strong beyond imagination. And you have my undying respect.” Louise told me.

“Thank you, Lou. There were moments in my life where I truly thought I would never be here again. I can tell you this, I’m glad I was wrong.” I smiled.

We spent the night there. We eventually moved onto Louise’s old home, John’s family had assumed him dead and had left town, so he was homeless. Louise’s house was big enough for the four of us, Sarah and I had our own room together. While Sarah and the others were preoccupied, I went into the woods to get some wild roses.

I took them into the bedroom and lit the candles that already adorned the room. I scattered the petals all around and dimmed the lights. I set music playing and placed a note on the bed. At that moment, Sarah entered the room. Her face lit up.

“Don’t say a word. Do me a favour and read.” I asked her. She turned and took up the note, keeping her back to me. I touched her hips and backed away, taking my position. She began to read.

My dearest Sarah,

I want you to know that you mean the world to me baby. The day I met you, you were kind to me and welcomed me with open arms and an open heart. It feels like only yesterday we met. You offered me a roof over my head and food in my stomach. When you found out what I was, you opened your mind to the possibilities and took me in still.

The day I found out that Jane came back I was so afraid, not for myself but for your safety. I knew I couldn’t live with myself if anything were to happen to you while I still draw breathe. That’s why I hunted you down all over the country. Even when things looked bleak, I knew I had to get you back. And that’s what I did. I can’t lose you, Sarah. I hope you realize just what you mean to me. You’re the blood coursing through my veins; you’re my best friend, my lover, my soul mate. My world. That’s why I have something to ask you.

Turn around. Xxx

As she turned to face me, I dropped to one knee and pulled out the ring. As she looked up to look at me, I opened the box, exposing the blood diamond.

“Sarah, I love you. Will you do me the honour of being my wife?” I asked her as my heart was beating so hard it felt as if it would soon break my ribs from the inside. Sarah stood there staring at me for a moment. Then she broke into tears.

“You fucking idiot, of course I will.” She said in a sob. I stood up and wrapped my arms around her.

“You had me worried for a second there.” I said as I slowly broke down. I kissed her and she kissed me. It was then I knew everything was going to be just right.

City Dogs: The First Generation.On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara