Chapter 4: Prior Engagement

Nearly three months after the incident with Angel and Rose. The pack was stronger. We had four new members and it was great. Ann, Eric, Steven and Trey. They fit in perfectly. I’ll admit, having seven sets of thoughts running through your head can be a little much sometimes, but it’s pretty cool too. Ann and Elizabeth got on real well. They were like sisters in no time. Eric got annoying at times. I think he had a huge crush on Ann; it’s all he ever thought about.

“For god sake Eric, just ask her out already and stop making us see how much you want to. You do know she can see your thoughts, just like the rest of us.” I told him.

“You think she knows?” He asked me.

“Yeah man, every member of this pack can see what you’re thinking. And I got to admit, it’s getting real old, real fast. So just go over there and ask her out.” I told him as we stood by the big oak tree.

Trey usually backed me up on things like this. He had earned the position as my second. John and Trey had fought for the status as second in command. John put up a good fight, but Trey was younger, faster and stronger. He hadn’t challenged me because I was still in my prime. Trey was around six feet tall and 180 pounds. He was tall but slim. He was still muscular but not quite as big as me.

Eric was around the same build, but a little shorter. He was nearly five feet eight, but he was stocky. Whereas Steven was about the same size as me, but very slim, he had the build of an Olympic sprinter. He was the fastest of all of us.

They were all suited to the werewolf life style. We all worked together. We moved in formation when a new threat put Gaitsborough in danger. And if we needed it, Louise was always willing to offer a helping hand.

But after a few more weeks, Louise shocked us all. She had decided to ask me for permission to change someone into a vampire, so that she would have a companion.

“So, who did you have in mind?” I asked her. She had been spending a lot of time with the pack lately.

“Well I was thinking about changing Jane. She’s like my best friend, and it would be easier. But I would ask her before I did anything. The reason I am asking you, Paul, is because you are the controlling force in these trees. Your pack is the biggest, supernatural group in the area, so it would only be right to ask you first.” She told me.

“Well I’m glad you did ask me first. As long as you can promise me that no human in Gaitsborough, or anyone from my pack will be in danger, and that you will keep Jane in control, you have my permission.” I told her.

“Thank you Paul and you have my word. No member of your pack or human residing in Gaitsborough will come to any harm on our account.” She promised. When Louise left, I went home. Elizabeth and I had not forgotten about our engagement. We hadn’t been able to keep it from the pack. They were happy for us. This made things a lot easier. Before I went home, I went to get some roses for her. It was our three year anniversary, three years since we started seeing each other. They were the best three years of my life.

 I had the whole night planned. I knew she wouldn’t be at home; she was staying at Ann’s house. The rest of the pack and I had been able to keep this a secret from Elizabeth. It had been hard but we did it.

When I got home I cleaned myself up and put on the new suit I had bought a few days ago. I tied my hair back into a ponytail. When I checked myself in the mirror, I looked strange. Too smart. Too tidy. I had gone all the way. A full black suit, silver watch, polished dress shoes and tie.

“Jesus, this aint right.” I thought to myself. I was still linked with Elizabeth, but I could tell she was too distracted to pay attention.

I picked up the roses and jumped through the window. I landed on my feet, I checked myself quickly, making sure nothing was torn or creased. I was fine. I decided to do this the traditional way. I walked through the streets. There were a few people on the streets, coming out of the bars and nightclubs. Some stared as I made my way through them.