Chapter 6

Chapter Six - Carter Home

Jasper had bathed, shaved, and was wearing clean clothes he had borrowed from Mr. Carter. As he was cleaning himself up and preparing to go downstairs and dine with the Carter family, he thought about his meeting with Lily. He had had no intention of getting to know her, he had just been flirting. But sometime throughout their short conversation, he had begun to feel a sort of tugging on his heart, and even though he had been robbed and was tired as he had never been before, he had been happy for that small moment. And for some unexplained reason, when he had found out who Lily was and he found out he would be marrying her sister, he had felt as if all happiness in the world had been taken away.

Jasper finished combing his locks and then nodded at Liam, who was also cleaned up and wearing clothes borrowed from the Carter's butler. Liam opened the door of the guest bedroom where Jasper would be staying, and they both went down the stairs to the small dining room. The Carter home was a small manor, luxurious and yet cozy. It was only two floors an upstairs and downstairs, unlike the Connelly Mansion which was four stories high. It had a large kitchen, parlor, and dining room on the bottom floor, and five bedrooms upstairs. Back in the Connelly Mansion, all the floors had their own separate parlors, dining areas, and bedrooms with the servants bedrooms down in the basement. The Carter servants stayed in a tiny separate cottage just behind the house. There was also a large barn a few feet away from the house and cottage, and the rest was orchards, fields, gardens, and small ponds. Jasper liked the scenic and rustic feel of the Carter place, and thought he might actually have a nice time here.

When they were on the bottom floor, they turned and went into the dining room. Everyone was already there, standing behind their chairs, waiting to be seated.

"I hope we haven't kept you long," Jasper said as he entered the room and everyone was seated. Liam went to the kitchens to help serve the dinner.

The first course, salad, came out as Mr. Carter said, "No trouble. It was unfortunate that you were mixed up with a carriage thief."

"Yes. When he offered to help, I suppose I didn't think he would be trouble. I believed him when he said he wanted to help me," Jasper responded.

"Any old fool can tell a carriage thief from a regular traveler." Everyone turned to look at Lily, who had whispered this not too quietly.

"You'll have to pardon Lily! She's not the kindest gal in the south. And she still hasn't learned to hold her tongue," Mrs. Carter said, smiling forcibly.

"It's fine. I suppose I wasn't in my right mind and didn't think much of it. Now I'll know the difference," Jasper replied, smiling slightly. Lily's feisty remarks amused him.

Lily sat with her eyes downcast, looking at her lap. She didn't want to make eye contact with Jasper, or worse, catch herself staring at him again. Now that he was cleaned up, his beauty shined even more, to the point where it almost blinded Lily. And he smelled very nice. This was not good.

"So, how have the wedding plans been?" Jasper asked. Lily's heart hurt, and she mentally scolded herself for feeling like that.

"Fine! We have picked out the clothes for the wedding party, the flowers, the tent for the reception, and the five courses of food to be served. We just need to pick out a cake, invitations, and plan the seating chart." Momma said.

"And the date is August 17th." Genevieve said meekly. Jasper turned towards her and studied her for the first time. She was taller than Lily and her eyes weren't the same sparkling blue, but a pretty chocolate brown. Their hair was a similar blond, but Lily's was loose and wavy and messy, while Genevieve's straight hair was in a braid down her back.

Jasper caught himself before he compared Genevieve to Lily anymore. They were both beautiful and Jasper should consider himself lucky to have gotten such a pretty wife for himself. True, there was something about Lily that seemed to make her more attractive to Jasper, but he couldn't complain.

After dinner, Mr. Carter was going to go outside for a smoke on his pipe and the ladies were going to the parlor to sew. Lily was dragging behind as usual, not wanting to touch her monstrosity of a sewing project, when she felt a strong and yet gentle firm grip wrap around her upper arm. She turned around to see Jasper looking down at her. He didn't seem to convey any emotions in his face, if anything, confusion.

"Is there something wrong?" Lily asked snappily.

"I was just wondering why you're being so rude with me." His voice rumbled and she could feel it vibrate through his hand, which was still on her arm.

"I ain't being rude." Lily snapped.

"Yes, I think you are. Have I done something to upset you?"

"No, what could you have done to upset me?"

"I don't know. Maybe you're just angry like I am because of the way things turned out." He smiled softly and she felt her heart beat fast.

"What do you mean? The way things turned out?" She whispered out.

"I mean because I am now engaged to your sister."

"And why should I be angry about that?" Lily's voice rose slightly, but she kept a check on it.

"Don't tell me you didn't feel that connection between us!"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Don't lie to me," Jasper whispered in her ear. She sucked in a breath and he continued, speaking close to her ear," I know I am marrying your sister in less than two weeks, but that's plenty of time for me to get you to admit defeat and tell me what you really felt today at the tavern." Jasper released her arm and left to go up to his room. Lily stood there, still feeling his fingers press into her skin and his soft breath slip into her ear as he spoke.

The next two weeks were going to be mighty hard to get through.

Author: will lily admit her feelings to jasper? And what about the wedding soon coming up? Read to find out! PLEASE vote and comment! :)