Chapter 2: Terrible sleep

- CHAPTER 2 -

I came home, dropping my bag on the floor and hanging up my coat. I rubbed my temples. That girl seriously got on my nerves; she could give anyone a headache. But right now, my headache didn't really feel like one I'd get from being near Shayna. It was a real headache. But why? Probably dehydration. I went to the kitchen and had some water, then went to the couch and put an ice pack on my forehead. I moaned.

Why was my life so unfair? All I wanted was to be normal - but no. I have to have a power/curse, be an amazing artist, and be really smart. Why couldn't I have average intelligence? Why couldn't I be BAD in art? Why did I have to be mini-mother nature?

"Isabel?" I called weakly.

"Just a moment, dear, I'm on the phone," came her soft voice from upstairs.

I sighed and lay there on the couch. I slowly fell asleep.

I woke up to smell frying... What was frying? I sat up, and the ice pack fell off my head into my lap. I became so dizzy I had to lie back down for a moment. "Uhhhhh," I said drowsily.

"Are y'okay? Yeh were fast asleep when I came down. I'm makin' stir fry. Are y'alright, love?" Isabel came over, sat down on the coffee table and smoothed my hair.

"Issokay. Just a headache. Nothin' wrong."

I looked at Isabel. She didn't look at all convinced - her soft blue eyes that normally laughed were dark with worry.

"Oh, all right... When yer feelin' better, come te the table and have some dinner."

"Thanks, Isabel."

"No worries, love." She left.

I sat up, waited until the dizziness left, took my backpack, then slowly made my way upstairs. I was really tired, but I had to do my homework. I took out my books, but no matter how many times I read that part of the textbook, I wouldn't understand it. It was really unlike me to not understand homework - I usually whizzed through it and was done in five minutes. I slammed down my pencil and leaned back in my chair, hands running through my ringlet curls. I need to go outside. That always cheered me up.

I went downstairs and put on my lavender converse. I opened the back door and slipped outside. The sun was just setting. It was beautiful. There was a warm breeze and it was a warm evening. My mind cleared of homework and Shayna, and I smiled. Maybe this power was okay. I spread out my hair and the wind blew through it. I laughed. It felt so good. I ran along the stone path, twirling and jumping. When I came in, Isabel put her hands on her hips and smiled. 

"Well that fresh air did yeh some good! Come and sit down fer dinner."

I ate hungrily and returned upstairs, feeling much better. I whizzed through my homework, as usual, and got in the shower. I scrubbed my hair thoroughly, leaving it smelling like grape. I let the steam envelop me in a white cloud, like a dream. I loved the feeling of hot water rushing down my body. I washed my whole body, including my belly button (I know, who does that? I just felt like it at the moment). After stepping out, I wrapped myself in a soft towel and shook my hair. Water droplets flew everywhere. I fluffed out my hair, the ringlet curls big enough to fit around my wrists.

Now, I knew that many girls were jealous of my looks (not bragging, I actually know this for a fact). I overheard Shayna say, "Omigosh. HOW does she get such nice curls? It looks so natural. And her eyes - she MUST be wearing contacts. No one's eyes are THAT apple green."

I take pride in hearing that. I really shouldn't. But I do...

I French braided my hair and brushed my teeth. Once I got into bed I remembered what I had told myself earlier that morning. I pulled my laptop out, and went on Google. Best disses, I searched. Several things popped up, and I clicked the first one. I started reading. At several points I laughed and smiled. My defences against Shayna had improved. I yawned, a sign that showed I should probably get some sleep. I snuggled in the warm duvet, glad that my evening wasn't so bad after all. 

Except for my sleep.

                                                  **************************************************

I tossed and turned all night, my comfy mattress seeming rock hard. I sat up and threw my pillow at the wall. I grabbed my watch in frustration. 3:17 am. Oh boy, was THIS a long night. I threw myself backwards, only to bonk my head on my bed frame. OW! That just made me madder. I got out of bead and retrieved my pillow. I threw it on the mattress and lay down. I sat up and punched the pillow several times. I lay down. I sat up, got out of bed, and jumped on it. I lay back down. It was still just as uncomfortable! When would I finally get to fall asleep again?! It took me forever to finally drift off.

I stumbled downstairs, rubbing my eyes. Isabel looked up from the frying pan full of pancakes. She raised an eyebrow.

"So I guess this is a new style o' makeup for yer age. I personally don't approve," she said firmly.

I laughed. "I know, I look awful. I had three and a half hours of sleep last night. I'm not surprised that you think this is makeup."

"Oh darlin', go back teh bed. Yeh can't concentrate on school when yer like this. Yeh eat these pancakes first, then straight up teh bed." She brought me my pancakes, with maple syrup and LOTS of whipped cream. 

"It's okay, I'm strong. I don't need sleep. I can function perfectly well without it," I said, stuffing pancakes in my mouth.

"Oh, I don't know about that. Sleep is very important. Just wait 'til yer in university, then you'll learn that I'm right."

"But I DO know you're right, Isabel. It's just that that rule doesn't apply to m-"

My face hit the whipped cream as I fell fast asleep.