Rozmarie

I swung my legs over the balcony.

It probably wasn't smart, but it was the best seat in the house and without a psychotic king threatening eternal war, I could really appreciate the view.

And I needed it.

We'd spent hours on the surface tapping into our 'inner force,' and after a while I found I was pretty handy with throwing knives—or daggers, I guess. I nicked Josiah a few times, but only because he'd begged me to spar with him. He claimed he'd already mastered his 'inner magic' and that I couldn't possibly hurt him. And then he started fumbling. Like swinging his blades too high and whipping them around too fast, surprised at being able to do so. And I ended up slicing him in one of his jerky movements. He'd winked and assured he was fine.

But was I?

Josiah would be leaving soon. Tomorrow, probably. I knew he'd have to return to Quantara to save his brother, so it really shouldn't have been a surprise. It was only a matter of time and now that we were safe, it was the perfect opportunity for him to go. And he should. So what did I feel like this?

I rubbed my hands down my face and sighed.

And then jumped as Josiah sat down next to me. I straightened, my body stilling except for my heart, which took off in a speedy race at the nearness of him. We'd chatted earlier on the surface, but this was the first time we were alone since... since he told me I had the wrong idea. I wasn't sure what to say, so I decided nothing would be best. I swung my legs back and forth, waiting for him to break up the silence.

"So... I was kind of a dick." Focused on the ocean below, Josiah released a long breath, "and I owe you an apology. You just caught me at a bad moment and I didn't mean..." he looked up and stared ahead. "I didn't mean what I said."

"Which part?"

A lump rolled down his throat. "About you having the wrong idea."

Hope tingled inside. My heart pounded harder and I took a deep breath, wondering if he really meant it, wondering if he knew what he was saying. But Josiah didn't look at me. He continued to stare ahead, focused on the distant cavern wall and the enormous wooden doors at the top of it.

"Oh."

"Yeah," he rubbed his neck again. Then proceeded to pull at the loose string on his vest. We sat in silence for another long moment until he decided to break it again. "Truth is," he gulped, still refusing to look at me, "I'm... really not sure what to do now. I'm leaving tomorrow and—"

"Definitely tomorrow?"

He nodded.

I swung my legs, needing something to do. Tomorrow was too soon, too sudden. We just got here and now he wanted to turn around and leave? Tapping my fingers on the stone beside me, I followed his lead and stared at the wall across from us. I couldn't give up so easily. I had to at least try and make him stay... for a little longer at least. "I think maybe you should stay a day or two. Take some time to relax—"

"I have to go back. You understand I have to go back, right?"

I bit my lip.

"Rozmarie..." he whispered my name and the sound vibrated through me. Something in his voice begged me to look at him and when I did, Josiah caught me in his cobalt stare. "I don't want to leave it like this."

"Like what?"

"With you thinking..."

"What?"

He shook his head.

"With me thinking what, Josiah?"

But he didn't say a word. Instead, his focus dropped to my lips. He licked his own and inched closer, slowly lowering his head to mine. I froze, not sure what to do, not sure if I should do anything so I waited, waited for Josiah who lingered over my mouth, drawing out the moment. Then, almost too softly, he brushed his lips against mine in a slow, curious kiss. I fell into it, into all his warmth and gentleness, clinging to the way he kissed me, like he couldn't believe it was happening either, like he'd waited his whole life to do it.