Josiah

Holy fuck.

We had to get out of the water. Fast. I pinned Rozmarie to my side and swam for the shore. But the Underling bastards did the same, knocking into me and shoving one another to get the fuck out of the water first. Because something was happening. Something big. Something bad. And Rozmarie wasn't swimming. She just stared behind us, paralyzed as the freezing waves crashed over.

"Come on!" I dragged us back, one-armed toward the shore. We bobbed through the lapping water that tried pulling me down. But I had Rozmarie. I had her tucked against me and there was no way in hell I'd come this far to fail. Not now. I'd get us to that shore. I'd get us there if it was the last thing I did. But icy water cascaded every few seconds, trying to drown me, trying to pull us under so I pushed even harder—even faster—and clawed my way through the tumultuous waves.

And then light appeared.

It grew from the dark depths of the ocean, glowing brighter and brighter and brighter. What was it? What was happening? The shore laid just ahead. Almost there. Almost there. Waves crashed over, threatening to swallow us but I extended my arm and felt a solid surface beneath my fingertips. Finally. With my remaining strength, I flung Rozmarie out of the water and onto the shore first. Then I crawled up behind her and got to my feet.

And stared in awe as the light illuminated the dark water which whipped around violently—around and around and around—swirling like a great funnel. It spiraled in front of the palace before dipping down. And then a waterspout formed—the light shining through—and it grew into a tornado of rushing, swirling air before spiraling all the way to the ceiling where it crashed with a thunderous boom!

Pieces of stone cascaded, plopping with loud plunks and thunks into the water. I covered Rozmarie's head, pulling her into me. But that was it. Everything quieted as the spout disappeared and the crashing waves calmed again, stilling with an almost peaceful rest.

I looked up.

Glistening specks rained down like a shower of golden powder. They floated softly, slowly, and the moment one touched me, a magnanimous force filled my body, awakening it as enlightenment sparked. Suddenly I could see. I could feel. Everything. Everything I'd been closed off to before. Everything inside me that laid dormant awoke, stretching, yawning and breathing for the very first time.

Rozmarie looked up.

She felt it too.

"Capture them!" a low voice growled the command.

I whisked her behind me, drawing both blades as I scanned the Underlings on the shore and the slanted path that led up toward the city. But not one moved. They just watched us, curious. Waiting. Same as me. Because one of them would attack. They hadn't stopped attacking since we arrived and I doubted they'd stop now.

"I said capture them!" the same voice commanded. It came from an enormous pale body that stood atop the palace balcony, facing us. "This was all too fast! I demand another go! Again! It must be done again!"

But still, no one moved.

"What are you waiting for? Morio!"

"None will hurt you now," Dido stood calm as ever, just like the rest of his motionless brothers, stoic and watchful. Except he held a dagger in his hands—Rozmarie's. He took a step closer and with a low bow, presented it to her. "I retrieved this from where you dropped it."

Rozmarie took the blade. "What do you mean no one will hurt us now?"

"We are no longer loyal to King Grulu. As you have opened the Golden Emerald, our allegiance has shifted to you, the Three Travelers."