Falling Apart.

Zayn was doing his best to fill the hole left by Niall's absence and the shows were going fairly OK. The main problems were the constant questions from the media, demanding to know how Niall was, when he'd be back and why there had been no further press releases regarding his condition. And if they weren't throwing those questions at the boys, they were pouncing on Zayn , asking questions about his broken engagement to Perrie and whether his being with One Direction meant he was returning to the band for good. All the boys thought that they would be glad to be on their break so they could have at least semi private lives and could devote more time to be with Niall.

Harry reminded himself, for at least the 100th time that day, that no news was good news. They were now too far from London to visit Niall daily and the schedule of  meet and greets, interviews, sound checks and shows didn't allow them the time they would need to go down to see Niall then return to their venue in time for the shows. It was frustrating. Maura had promised she would update them if anything changed but nothing had turned into more nothing.  He and Liam had a radio interview to do and he went through the instructions from Management about what they were to say and, more importantly not say, if...when ...Harry thought, they were questioned about Niall. It was actually easier to avoid  any questions about Zayn and Harry knew Liam would be the one to be the diplomatic spokesman there. Harry decided he'd just sit quietly and nod in response to Liam's replies. He just could not face another roasting from Management. His outburst at the last press statement when he had yelled at a particular pushy member of the pap had ended with him being summonsed to a meeting with Management and having to sit there as a smug and rude Stephen had yelled at him was not an experience he was willing to repeat. His nerves wouldn't take it. None of them could. They had been living on a knife edge since Niall had been admitted to the hospital and it wouldn't  take too much for any of them break. Harry sighed to himself. He was tired, about to break. and, he hated to admit it to himself or the other boys, without any hope for Niall's recovery. It was now four weeks and he knew Niall's chances could be slipping away.

Eventually the northern part of the tour had been completed and Management told the boys that the Dublin shows had been moved back. Even Management realised that the band going to Ireland without  their Irish member, would not be a good move. The boys decided that they would all travel down together to London . They were finding it harder and harder to spend any appreciable time apart as they needed to lean on each other for support and comfort. When one was very down, the others did their best to pull up that person. It finally got to the point that they all started to break at the same time and they barely talked or ate. Sleep seemed to elude them as well and all the lads began to look so ill that it was doubtful that even the clever hands of Lou Teasdale could disguise the fact. They just wanted it to end.

"Sleep or Niall?" Louis asked the others once they had arrived back at Liam's home. The journey down had been a nightmare, stuck on the motorway for hours as a bad accident had stopped traffic moving. They were tired, fractious and stressed beyond belief.

"Sleep, I think" Liam replied. "We'll not do any good if we arrive at the hospital in this state". The others nodded in agreement and headed to bed. Louis just collapsed on the nearest couch, too exhausted to climb the stairs. He wanted to sleep, he was tired yet his mind refused to stop whirling and , in the end, he switched on the TV and mindlessly watched , not even registering what he was seeing. His thoughts were all about his little Bro, Niall.

None of the boys wanted breakfast when they woke so  Liam just made tea. They were anxious to see Niall as they had been away for nearly the best part of five days. Maura hadn't contacted them or responded to texts,  and Management had been very closed mouthed. The hospital had also  refused to give out any information when they rang as they feared that it might be the media trying to get hold of personal information. They only gave out the standard " Mr Horan is as well as can be expected at this time " which told them nothing. They gave up ringing after the third day. It was pointless.

Louis was the first to reach Niall's room but stopped abruptly at the door. The others piled up behind him as they all looked into the room, shock etched on all their faces. 

The bed was empty, the machines idle.