Little Pig, Little Pig

Start from the beginning

“Why didn’t you give him the money, Elias? Because of you, he went to the Wolf. Because of you Eric is dead.” Ethan stared at the fresh mound of dirt marking the grave.

Elias swallowed hard. “Where were you, then? Why didn’t you help him? You were his brother, too.”

“You know damn well that I’ve got my own problems. Sure, I was a bit better off, but not near enough. You had the means.” Ethan didn’t look up.

“Eric made a choice; a horrible, stupid choice. If I had known he would get involved with the Wolf of all people, I would have handed him the money and then some.” He balled his hands into fists so tight his knuckles cracked.

“Too late for that now.” Ethan didn’t spare a glance at him before walking away from the grave.

Elias surveyed his home. The door showed no sign of forced entry. There were no marks of a crowbar on the jamb and the lock still functioned properly. Despite these positive signs, Elias entered his darkened home with caution. The Wolf hadn’t earned his reputation by being sloppy.

He opened a valve near the door, and a gaslight glowed to life. Deep shadows danced at the corners of the room. His furniture became sinister in the contrast. Breathing deeply, he reluctantly left his sanctuary in the light to inspect all the windows in the house. Again, his hand wandered to his pocket, and the gun it concealed.

A filthy street urchin approached him as people began to congregate in the cemetery. The child didn’t say a word, just tugged at his coat and looked up at him with sunken eyes. At first, Elias thought his pockets were being picked, but when he glanced down, a note was quickly stuffed into his hand. Confused, he unfolded the paper and read.

“I hope this missive finds you well, little pig. You have a decision to make.

Your brother Eric failed to pay his debt to me, and I was forced to kill him.

Ethan, too, was unable to rectify Eric’s mistake. Once again, I was forced to take a life.

You have a chance to make things right. Redeem your brothers, or join them.

Your choice. I’ll be in touch.”

The child had vanished by the time he finished reading.

He still had the note. It was a reminder of what he had to do tonight. His hand hovered over his chest pocket as he stared into the blazing fire.

Tick, Tock. Tick, Tock.

Elias jumped back. His eyes searched for the clock on the mantle atop the fireplace. The small and delicately engraved brass hands showed ten o’clock. He exhaled. The warmth from the flames calmed his nerves as they dried his soaked clothes. With his body warmed, he could work on his plan of defense. He wasn’t going to sit meekly by while the Wolf loomed around, planning to kill him.

He gathered his chemistry supplies. Despite the narrow stairs to the basement, he managed to assemble a small lab on the floor before his fireplace.

It didn’t take long for the beakers to bubble with colored liquids, and Elias grinned at the dripping glass tubes. He was clad in a thick leather apron and goggles to protect his skin. Elias adjusted burners and mixed chemicals together without any apparent method, but to him it felt right to do something productive.

A sizzling noise interrupted his rhythm. Purple smoke rose from the floor as a bubbling liquid splashed out of its container. The wooden floor dissolved under the drops.

Grabbing a pair of tongs, he took the volatile concoction off the burner. With care,  Elias carefully carried the beaker to the front door. He opened it just far enough so the top of the door created a shelf space for the container to sit. The Wolf wouldn’t be able to resist such an easy target, and as soon as he came through the door; it would be the end of him.