Chapter 2

My first few weeks alone were great. I got a job as an accountant at the local bank, which was good since I was really great at math. The pay was good, I was definitely able to support myself and pocket some in case I needed to run again.

I went into work one morning, it was only myself and a couple other women since it was a weekend. I sat down at my desk and started doing my paperwork, when I felt the bile climb up my throat.

I quickly ran to the bathroom and threw up everything I ate the night before. The girls came by and helped me out, for the few weeks I've been at work, they really have become my family.

"Honey, you really a'ight?" Sandy, an older lady says. Sandy was kind of like the motherly figure I needed while I was starting on my own. Her southern accent was comforting as I started to clean myself up and look presentable again.

I nod, "yeah, I'm sure it was nothing, this is the first time I actually threw up." I've been getting sick in the morning lately, but I've never thrown up before.

She feels my forehead and then looks in my eyes, "honey, you've been having this morning sickness for days now...."

"Yeah, I'm not too sure what's going on...." I say frustrated as I push my hair behind me and splash my face with some water.

"Is there any chance that you could be....pregnant?" Sandy asks me softly.

I laugh and shake my head, "No it can't be, I just had my period...." I say, but trail off when I realize I actually didn't get my period this month.

"Oh my...." I say, and stand up quickly.

Sandy tells me to take a break, and I gladly take it. I practically run to the nearest drugstore and buy a pregnancy test. I get back to the bank and into the bathroom and use the test.

After a few minutes, I look at the stick and see two pink lines which can only mean one thing, I'm pregnant. Under normal circumstances I would be thrilled, but the only thing on my mind right now is the fact that I am pregnant with Ryder's baby.

~~~~~~~ 4 months later~~~~~~~~~

"C'mon Kara, I need one more big push baby" the nurse says.

Tears already stain my cheeks, and I can't feel any part of my body, "I..don't..think..I..can" I say, on the verge of crying again. The pain is so intense that I can't feel any part of my body. I would like to say that the Epidural helps, but my body temperature is so high that the medicine burns off in like an hour.

The nurse pats my leg, "Its okay, I know. But just think, it's only a little more pain for a lifetime of happiness."

I nod, and wipe my tears. I've already been through so much, I 'm ready for my baby.

The nurse smiles, "that's it girl. Now push on three. One. Two. Three. Push!!"

I grip the rails on the hospital bed as I push as if my life depended on it. The pain is intense but the joy of soon being able to hold my baby is enough to push me through. I push for 10 whole seconds before taking a small break. I take a deep breath and push again with all my might, until I hear the sound of a baby crying.

"Good job momma," the nurse says, patting my leg as one of the other nurses clean up my baby.

The nurse holds the clean baby close to her body before carefully handing my baby to me, "Congratulations Kara, you have a handsome baby boy."

I take my baby from her and hold him close to me. I cry softly as I hold my child, who relaxes in my arms. "You have no idea how long I have been waiting for you little one." I whisper to him as I kiss his head and hold him close.