A Very Strange Morning

Merida's POV

Our parents reacted the way we thought they would. But when Rossalyn disappeared in front of them, they believed us. Then we panicked. To add to the chaos, Siofra strolled in like she owned the place and laughed at what she saw. I'd have laughed too, if I was in her position.

-Flashback-

My eyes shot open as I heard Hiccup yell. I pulled on a dress, musing over the fact that my formal green dress that I never wear if I can help it was missing, before grabbing my bow and arrows and racing down the hall. I swung open the door to find... Hiccup in a dress.

My formal green dress, specifically. It went to his ankles instead of sweeping on the floor, and didn't really fit him at all. But the color was nice on him- it brung out his eyes. "Nice dress."  I said, lowering my bow.

"This isn't funny, Merida! I thought the triplets and I were getting along."

"You were. But they don't like a little girl sleeping in one of their beds."

"That's what this is about- Rossalyn?!"

"Yup. Now I see why that dress never really suited me..."

"Again, not funny!"

I rolled my eyes and moved to help him, but the stays were knotted and the dress stuck.

"You'll be in that until we can cut you out of it." I told him.

"What?!" He practically yelled. He started trying to frantically get the dress off, but knocked into me by accident. I felt something sharp poke my head, but not too painfully.

"Oh! Merida, I am so sorry!"  Hiccup said.

"Don't worry about it. At least I don't have something stuck on me."

"So that arrow in your hair isn't stuck?" He said sarcastically.

I freaked out just like he had, but the arrow and the dress wouldn't budge either way.

Finally, we cut our losses and went downstairs. "Dad's going to die laughing, so that solves that problem." Hiccup muttered.But the only ones dressed normally were the triplets and Rossalyn. She was wearing an old yellow dress of mine that was a little too big, but still fine, and was wide-eyed at the appearance of our parents, since the servants were all gone and the Lords and their families as well as the Vikings (besides Stoick and Hiccup) were all in their camps.

Mum's hair was pointing straight up, and she had on a milkmaid's dress, which she was trying (and failing) to make look dignified. Dad was wearing a dented wool hat (how does one dent wool?) and an odd mix of exceptionally royal garments and peasant clothes which looked maddeningly uncomfortable. And unless I was mistaken, Stoick was shirtless and wearing a pair of wings. Not dragon wings, but they looked more like... "Faery wings. Oh, we'll fit right in." Hiccup said sarcastically.

"Actually, we will. Look at them. It's like some strange costume party." I said. We walked down the stairs carefully, my arm on Hiccup's. By Scathach, I'm turning into Mum! A very strange version of her... "Merida! Why is there an arrow in your hair?"  Mum asked.  Speak of the devil.

"Because it wouldn't come out." I responded.

"Hiccup... are you in a dress?" Stoick chuckled.

"I woke up like this." Hiccup sighed, before glaring at the triplets.

"Anyway, Mum, my hair looks very normal compared to yours." I said, sitting down at the table. Mum felt her hair self-conciously, before saying, "I let the boys do my hair this morning for their new friend. Then all my gowns were dirty, so I needed to borrow Rhona's sister's spare dress, since it was the only clean extra in the castle my size."